Baby Chick Pooping Blood

Haleybug7

Chirping
Feb 21, 2017
I have a 2 week oldish baby who is pooping blood. She is acting normal, flying and running around with my other two. She's eating and drinking fine. She has solid poops that are reddish colored, some that are more watery and bloody, and some are normal. Could she have coccidiosis?? I'm hoping it's something less serious :(

It could be. Describe your brooder setup.
By the time the feces is bloody, they need prompt attention.
Are you feeding a medicated feed? Can you get some Corid (amprolium)?
Keep bedding bone dry and feeders full.

It could be. Describe your brooder setup.
By the time the feces is bloody, they need prompt attention.
Are you feeding a medicated feed? Can you get some Corid (amprolium)?
Keep bedding bone dry and feeders full.

They've been in a wooden brooder outside with a heat lamp on one side and they always have fresh food and water. Yes I am feeding medicated feed. If they carry Corid at Tractor Supply I might be able to get some today

Quote: They should have corid there.Can you post a picture of the poop?Was it just a spot of blood?Birds are very good at hiding a illness.Here is the dosage for Corid Liquid.

*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1/3 teaspoon/gallon.
*The preventative dose (.006%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1/2 teaspoon/gallon.

*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 3/4 teaspoon/gallon.
*The moderate outbreak dose (.012%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 1 teaspoon/gallon.

*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid 20% Soluble Powder is 1.5 teaspoons/gallon.
*The severe outbreak dose (.024%) for Corid Liquid (9.6% Solution) is 2 teaspoon/gallon.

For 7-14 days

Here is a pic of intestinal lining which can look like a cocci poop.

intestinal-lining-shed.jpg

Note that it is more spread out..

This pic is from a chick that had cocci.

I only have this one picture from when I first noticed it. But she's had some that are bloodier today. Tractor Supply didn't have any corid so I'll have to get some from a feed store tomorrow. Is there anything I can do for her until then besides separate her from the others?

I only have this one picture from when I first noticed it. But she's had some that are bloodier today. Tractor Supply didn't have any corid so I'll have to get some from a feed store tomorrow. Is there anything I can do for her until then besides separate her from the others?
Can you call any other local Tractor Supply store to see if you can get some Corid?

If not, then hopefully you can get some tomorrow - you may want to have a "standby" plan if you can't find some locally - like express shipping from Amazon.

See that she is eating well and drinking.

I've quartantened her and gave her a mirror so she wouldn't be lonely. Her poops have been looking normal and hopefully she'll be okay & I'll try to find some Corid tomorrow!

I've quartantened her and gave her a mirror so she wouldn't be lonely. Her poops have been looking normal and hopefully she'll be okay & I'll try to find some Corid tomorrow!
You can try calling any other feed store.Im surprised they didn't have it especially in chick season.It definitely sounds like she has cocci.

2 of my chicks are having intermittent loose stool. It's liquid brown in color. All seem to be acting totally normal otherwise. No change in diet. They're eating DuMor organic Chick Starter Crumble & get fresh water twice a day.

Back
Top Bottom