1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick Problemmmmsssas!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nadiia, Feb 22, 2016.

1. Nadiia

Nadiia Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2014
    London
    Hi guys so i recently bought some Serama chick eggs and they were due to hatch today but i read on the Internet that because they are miniature chickens, they should hatch on the 19-20 day. We could hear the chick chirping inside and the egg was moving quite a bit. So my dad (thinking he knows it all) started peeling away the egg. He'd already done a lot so I told him he may aswell do the rest.

When she hatched she was still in the curled position. And she's been sleeping ever since, I realise now that we should of let her hatch herself. She's tries to walk every now and then and chirps a little but she looks very weak? Like she's struggling!

I know chicks are super tired anyway but my dad told me to give her some water because the incubator she's in is on 37.5 and he said it's too hot?? I tried to give her water and she drank a little bit seemed uncomfortable after. I have had chickens for just over a year now but she's a different breed and I think I'm doing it wrong!!

Please, please, please!! Any advice welcome xxxx

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    The only thing you can do at this point is leave her be and :fl And stop opening the incubator and meddling. You're compromising the remaining unhatched eggs. My bantams take 21 days to hatch, just like any other chicken (unless my temp is a bit high). Since yours are a bit late, that leads me to believe yours was a tad low. If that's the case, again, leave them be. They need to absorb blood and yolk, and peeling them from their shells prematurely can kill them. Also, and this is just what I've read here on BYC, my understanding is that Seramas are difficult to hatch (even for experienced breeders), so don't get too discouraged if your hatch rate isn't that great.

Good luck, hopefully your chicks will make an appearance soon.

3. Sherlock Watson

Sherlock Watson Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2016
    Salish Sea Region
    Try electrolytes in her water. I know how you feel: [​IMG] Please update us a lot on how she is!!! o.0
    Now I'm really worried to. Good luck!!!! :)

4. Nadiia

Aug 1, 2014
    London
    Thank you for your reply. She was the only chick. One other died and the rest of the eggs were empty!

5. Nadiia

Aug 1, 2014
    London
    Im going to pick up three more chicks today so she isn't alone in the brooder box. It's the next morning now and she still looks weak. I'll see if I can get some electrolytes for her water! Thank you xxxxxx Don't you just hate it when you know it's your fault????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by