Baby chick problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by andi13, Jul 25, 2014.

1. andi13

andi13 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Hey all. I am a first time chick owner. We originally started with three chicks that we picked up at a feed store on Sunday (the store said they were a week old). Although I am a first time chick owner I thought that I was doing everything right. One of the chicks became very lethargic and did not make it...this was three days after we got them (Wednesday). She seemed to be eating and drinking she just didn't make it. After she passed we went back to the feed store and got two more (to make our chick total 4). Yesterday another one of my original chicks became very lethargic. I tried feeding it electrolyte water but this morning I found she hadn't survived the night. I am devistated. I really am afraid it might be something I'm doing wrong but I just don't know. I'm nervous about the last one of the original birds that we bought. The two we got later on seem great and other one seems alright I just don't know. I don't want to lose another chick. Any suggestions would be amazing! A lite more background info their brooding box is a Rubbermaid tub that has feed and water. I keep the light hanging about a foot above the lid because it's been in the 90's here recently. I also have given them the last two nights hard boiled egg. I think that's it. Sorry for the long message but I just care about them so much and I don't think I could stand losing another chick!

2. lightchick

lightchick Overrun With Chickens

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    So sorry for your losses.
    Do they have room to get away from the heat lamp? What kind of bedding are you using?
    Is there any blood in their poop or anything?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  3. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I'm sorry for your losses--it is always hard to have chickens die. Here are a few questions that might help me figure out what is wrong:

What feed are you feeding them?

Does the feed contain a coccidiostat (usually corid/amprolium/coban)? Most bags that contain a coccidiostat are called "medicated."

What type of bedding are you using?

If possible, could you check the exact temperature in the brooder? Week old chicks should be in 90-95 degree F. temperatures.

Do the droppings in the brooder seem normal (no blood, well formed, etc.)?

Did any of the other chicks at the feed store seem sick? Chicks just sitting in a corner are often ill.

Sometimes chicks just die due to un-treatable internal defects/problems, but I think it is unlikely that both of your chicks would have died because of something like that. With luck, we'll be able to figure out what is wrong.

4. andi13

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Right now I'm feeding them chick starter and I have pine bedding down. I haven't noticed any blood in their droppings. The other three seem really strong but I am still just nervous. I originally had them in the garage but it just seemed really stuffy in there so yesterday I moved them into the house. I think this is probably much better. They have natural light and although it's still in the 90's here I put on the fan for some air circulation. It just seems like a better place for them to be.

Should I be buying a different kind of food? I went to a feed store today and picked up a yellow packet to put in their water that says vitamins and electrolytes (does that sound like something I should be using?) and a "chick stick" it looks like chick starter with some other fun food stuff in a bar form for them to peck at.

As far as where I got them the place seemed a little dreary to me. They had pens with a lot of chicks in them so I'm not really sure how they were cared for and looked after. I'm just trying to give them a better life now :)

5. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Does the chick starter bag say medicated or does it just say chick starter?
    What brand of feed is it?

6. andi13

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    It doesn't say medicated. I think it was packaged by the feed store because it just has chick starter written on it

7. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Well you can buy some Corid and put it in their water if you have anymore problems.

8. andi13

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Ok thanks for the tips! I went and bought some medicated chick feed and have them some of that. Hopefully that will help!

9. lightchick

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Glad I could help! Well I'd keep an eye on it still. I'd give their brooder a really good cleaning. If they keep on getting worse then you should probably get some Corid.

10. andi13

Jul 20, 2014
    San Jose, CA
    Ok I'll keep that in mind with the corrid. Is that something I get at a feed store? I scrubbed their brooder yesterday but since it's been hot I'll probably do it again tomorrow

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by