Baby Chick Problems

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by lzufelt, Feb 22, 2015.

1. lzufelt

lzufelt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi all,

Hoping you can help me.

*In my Week old chicks one of my babes, I believe, is constipated. It has been like this about a day and he seems to be having no issues. He is eating and drinking without issues but does have some hard poop on his vent. I tried to wipe it off with a warm wash cloth but it didn't help.

I have heard molasses works? Will this hurt my other chicks?
    Any other ideas (I don't currently have Molasses)?

Also, I have been feeding my 14 babes starter feed, is it to early to start giving them treats? And if it is not to early does anyone have any ideas/recipes that I can give them?

Thank you in advance for the help!

2. cfack

cfack Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2015
    Springville Utah
    Your chick may have whats called pasty butt. If you use warm water and a paper towel it should loosen up and come off. Try running his bum under warm water to see if it loosens up.I use Apple cider vinegar in their water. A few tablespoons per gallon. I hear this reduces the chances of them getting it. You can also Vaseline or olive oil and this can help it to not stick This can be fatal so proceed cautiously. I hope this helps! About the treats if they eat anything other than chick starter they need chick grit to digest it. One treat idea is rolled oats with not additives.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  3. lzufelt

lzufelt Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2015
    Ontario, Canada
    I have tried the warm water and paper towel and it did not work. It is stuck on there pretty good. While I had Big Ben in the sink using paper towel and q-tips he was able to pass so I'm not sure if he is constipated and I was able to loosen the hard stuff or if poop is just stuck to him?
    :( poor little guy.

I will try the apple cider vinegar :) Thank you!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by