Baby chick pulled out of waterer, HELP !

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FarmerWife, Feb 6, 2015.

1. FarmerWife

FarmerWife Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    I have baby chicks that just hatched a couple of days ago, and put the smallest chick waterer I could find for them, to avoid drowning, but I have Phoenix chicks in with the rest of them, and this was a very tiny chick, so it looks like he may have been pushed in, wasn't in for long, but he was on his back. I have no clue if it took any water in, what do I do? I've dried it with the blow dryer at a distance on low heat to warm it, but I don't know if I need to do anything else. If it did take in any water, am I going to lose my chick?? Please help, thanks!

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    It sounds like you did all you could for him. I put pebbles (bigger pebbles) in the waterer so the water isn't as deep. Hope he is fine!

3. FarmerWife

Oct 27, 2010
    Quote:I'm noticing that it's breathing a little hard, it may have taken in water, it's laying on it's side. It's completely dry now, and I've got it where it's staying warm, but I don't know what else to do at this point. Is there anything I can do if it took water into it's lungs??

4. familyfarm1

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I've never really had an incident like this happen before. [​IMG]

5. familyfarm1

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    Bumping this for you

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

All you can do is let him/her rest and keep him warm. Hoping for a full recovery! You should know soon.

7. sirrobyn0

sirrobyn0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Ican't imagine what else you could possibly do for the chick. Please let us know what happens. We'll be thinking about the chick

8. FarmerWife

Oct 27, 2010
    My little peep made it ! It's happy and running around the brooder with the other chicks again, you'd never know it nearly drowned. I learned my lesson well, there are now marbles in the watering container. Thanks so much everyone! Have a great evening.

Blessings,
    Dianna

9. sirrobyn0

sirrobyn0 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2015
    Thanks for letting us know Dianna, and a BIG glad to hear the peep is well!!!!

10. familyfarm1

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    I'm so glad she recovered, that's great!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by