1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by DruT54, May 22, 2016.

1. DruT54

DruT54 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2016
    I moved my babies I hatched to the garage just outside my utility room door. My 5 little guys come to the back door and chirp when it's bedtime if they can see me inside (I work in my utility room). If I didn't know better I would think they are telling me it's bedtime and I should be joining them? They follow me if I go out there in the evening. They are all feathered pretty much, just bout 5 weeks. I have 1 Cochin that looks silver lace and other 4 are from my Cochin roo with mother hens 1 Buff Orpington and 3 Australorps (guess they are Buff Orpigchins and Austrachins :) Do they think I am their mother? Thanks in advance

2. 0wen

0wen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2016
    Southwest Virginia
    How long have they been in the garage?

Most likely they're looking for the place you had them brooding previously - creatures of habit and all. They could be associating some familiarity to you in that they can't find their roosting place but recognize you. I had a flock years ago and when I first moved the chicks outside they couldn't figure out how to use the ramp to go in at night - I actually had a pullet half-fly-half-climb a 5' fence and come hop on my lap (we were in lawn chairs watching them/relaxing/having a beer) - chirping like a maniac to be put in the coop. Put forth 10x the effort getting to us than it would've taken to get in the pop door, but what can you do?

So... they probably know you're not their 'mother,' but may have some sort of imprint on you..

Last edited: May 22, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by