1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sharebear29, Feb 14, 2012.

1. sharebear29

sharebear29 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 31, 2011
    Hello,

I got my first order of chicks yesterday from McMurray. They all seemed fine...a couple were smaller than the rest but seemed healthy. This morning the smaller ones seem less active and didn't seem to be eating or drinking. Should be concerned? Is there anything I can do to help them or does it just take time?

Thank you.

Sharon

2. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    you will get better answers than mine because i am a chicken owner for all of one week. i have one chick that sounds like yours. she seemed to want to sleep rather than get up & eat/drink. i mixed a small amount of warm water w/additional sugar & electrolytes. i dipped her beak in it (she had enough energy left to protest). she immediately sunk back down into her sleeping position, but in less than a minute she was up on her feet. she moved over to the water & feed. again this morning she was like that. i did the same. she got up again & ate & drank. i don't know if this will work in the long run, but i'm hoping.
    good luck with your babies and i hope someone on this site will give you just the answer you need.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by