baby chick question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chewchew101, Feb 18, 2013.

1. chewchew101

chewchew101 New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    How many eggs will 3 chickens lay I a week and how will four cats react to baby chickens. :D

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    During their early years, when they lay most. hens will lay a maximum of about 6 eggs per week. Some breeds are better layers than others. You can check this out in our Breeds sction in the brown band at the top of the page.

Usually, pet cats will kill young chicks but not bother mature hens.

3. chewchew101

chewchew101 New Egg

Feb 13, 2013
    Thank you
    :D

4. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    It is breed specific and they slow in the winter months when the days are shorter. My six PR's went from 5-6 a day down to as little as 2 a day for a month or so. Now they are back to 5-6 a day.

5. ben is a terror

ben is a terror Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2011
    LBI,NJ & JIM THORPE,PA
    I have 4 cats and they pay no attention to them, but I don't leave them together when I'm not there

6. tristancolli

tristancolli Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2009
    Kinmount
    last time i had baby cicks was last march and i had 10 cats at the time and they never did anything but you also have to remember cats do have a natural hunters instinct so it could be different.

7. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    None if the chickens are roosters! [​IMG] If they are hens, good egg layers will lay nearly 1/hen/day!

The chicks may be play things for the cats! Not a good mix. Our cats catch mice and birds when they have outside time. [​IMG]

8. cobbcruiser

cobbcruiser Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    Atlanta Metro
    We don't have an indoor cat so I can't comment on that. We have a slightly different potential challenge with having a bird dog: a Vizsla, Lexi.

We got 5 chicks last night and she looks like she would go after them any minute. I have been holding Lexi tightly and letting her smell the chicks. I don't leave her unattended for even a second. I've been trying to do this as often as possible, just hoping she'll eventually understand the difference between our chicks (family) and birds outside (fair game). It's only been a day so we'll see how things progress, but we really hope Lexi will learn to behave around our chicks.

I like the sound of the number of eggs! I'm hoping we see that kind of production when our chicks/hens start laying in a few months.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by