Baby chick- raw skin showing in areas-she is in pain

ChichiMama

Chirping
Jun 22, 2020
Warwick, NY
We hatched a bunch of Christmas chicks. One of my babies lost a lot of her baby fuzz & her skin is hot & inflamed. She is in pain & upset. The other babies are curious and want to peck at her wounds- like raw, hot, painful skin- that she keeps pecking and adjusting herself... really upsetting... I put an antimicrobial gel, that cools and moisturizes. Also some aloe, right from the plant... with one tiny drop of tea tree oil- the tea tree I honestly don’t even think I let it get on the chick, bc we were worried abt sensitive respiratory systems... I’m upset!!!! I have had this baby wrapped up on my lap for hours. She misses her friends under the heating lamp- yet- THAT will dry out her HOT irritated skin even more. I’m not sure what to do... they were born Dec 14th- they are 16 days old... this sucks/ I made a vest/ coat for her out of a sock w room for her wings to come out of ... she did not like it.. she could not walk in it- so then she was like free game for the other fckrs to peck at her- while she was falling all over herself... I’m trying to keep her warm- bc she should be under the heat lamp like her friends... but- like I said - it is baking her “sunburn” worse.. whatever I put on it is just dissolving immediately... so Baby is on my chest... wrapped up... I gave her a mini mini teeny/ even less than a drop of children’s liquid Tylenol... pls don’t say anything abt that. It hurts to see babies in pain.... SO, does anyone know
ANYTHING that I could do, to make this little Baby feel better? (And all of the other chicks are ok- except for one- one has spraddle leg. I ordered those leg braces from Amazon.. I tried to make them, but poor lil Baby’s legs are like toothpicks... it’s just ridiculous to try and make a huge upsetting fuss- I’m not into hurting, but healing... please, please... anyone have anything? I feel like I’ve done everything... please help. I’m going to start crying again... please... they are just babies...
ps- the baby w spraddle legs- was only hatched on 12/25... so his legs are still so mini and able to be fixed... I do have those brace things coming from Amazon tomorrow- ordered them two days ago... xx

We hatched a bunch of Christmas chicks. One of my babies lost a lot of her baby fuzz & her skin is hot & inflamed. She is in pain & upset. The other babies are curious and want to peck at her wounds- like raw, hot, painful skin- that she keeps pecking and adjusting herself... really upsetting... I put an antimicrobial gel, that cools and moisturizes. Also some aloe, right from the plant... with one tiny drop of tea tree oil- the tea tree I honestly don’t even think I let it get on the chick, bc we were worried abt sensitive respiratory systems... I’m upset!!!! I have had this baby wrapped up on my lap for hours. She misses her friends under the heating lamp- yet- THAT will dry out her HOT irritated skin even more. I’m not sure what to do... they were born Dec 14th- they are 16 days old... this sucks/ I made a vest/ coat for her out of a sock w room for her wings to come out of ... she did not like it.. she could not walk in it- so then she was like free game for the other fckrs to peck at her- while she was falling all over herself... I’m trying to keep her warm- bc she should be under the heat lamp like her friends... but- like I said - it is baking her “sunburn” worse.. whatever I put on it is just dissolving immediately... so Baby is on my chest... wrapped up... I gave her a mini mini teeny/ even less than a drop of children’s liquid Tylenol... pls don’t say anything abt that. It hurts to see babies in pain.... SO, does anyone know
ANYTHING that I could do, to make this little Baby feel better? (And all of the other chicks are ok- except for one- one has spraddle leg. I ordered those leg braces from Amazon.. I tried to make them, but poor lil Baby’s legs are like toothpicks... it’s just ridiculous to try and make a huge upsetting fuss- I’m not into hurting, but healing... please, please... anyone have anything? I feel like I’ve done everything... please help. I’m going to start crying again... please... they are just babies...
ps- the baby w spraddle legs- was only hatched on 12/25... so his legs are still so mini and able to be fixed... I do have those brace things coming from Amazon tomorrow- ordered them two days ago... xx
Can you get a brooder plate and use that instead of the heat plate?
Have you tried Calendula cream on her skin to soothe and heal it?
Can you post pictures of her with close ups of her skin?
What bedding are you using in the brooder?

Can you get a brooder plate and use that instead of the heat plate?
Have you tried Calendula cream on her skin to soothe and heal it?
Can you post pictures of her with close ups of her skin?
What bedding are you using in the brooder?
I have a brooder plate in the box next to them bc those chicks are way smaller they are swarmed and we’re just hatched on Christmas. So cute. I have not tried Calendula cream... I have to look into that... a cream would be much better than any kind of oil. Excellent suggestion. Thank you so much.. I am using wood pine chips... we changed the bedding again, (my very patient husband did) and changed the big Tupperware to a really big box, with roosting posts, a front window ( for us lol ), and a heat lamp... I look like a crazy chicken lady & I love it hahaha We goin’ to Tractor Supply!!! See if they have Calendula oil and perhaps a brooder plate to add to the box...thank you so much... let me try to get pictures as well...

I have a brooder plate in the box next to them bc those chicks are way smaller they are swarmed and we’re just hatched on Christmas. So cute. I have not tried Calendula cream... I have to look into that... a cream would be much better than any kind of oil. Excellent suggestion. Thank you so much.. I am using wood pine chips... we changed the bedding again, (my very patient husband did) and changed the big Tupperware to a really big box, with roosting posts, a front window ( for us lol ), and a heat lamp... I look like a crazy chicken lady & I love it hahaha We goin’ to Tractor Supply!!! See if they have Calendula oil and perhaps a brooder plate to add to the box...thank you so much... let me try to get pictures as well...
Did you ever get pics? I'm having same problem now. What helped?

Back
Top Bottom