1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick roost

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by The Golden Egg5, Jan 29, 2017.

1. The Golden Egg5

The Golden Egg5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    I want to build a roost for my baby chicks. I know they don't need it, but I want to so they can have something to play with. I want to get them a dowel rod but I am unsure of the size to get. I was thinking 1/2 inch diameter, but should I get a bigger size so they can use it longer?

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    One inch diameter would be better. They grow awfully fast. It's a great idea. Chicks love to hop onto everything and anything.

As long as you're providing"playground" equipment, may I recommend a tub of sand? There's nothing so adorable as baby chicks dirt bathing. Those tiny wings whirl around so fast, they look like wind up toys!

3. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Okay thank you!! That would be a good idea to make it 1 inch. Haha yes! I was already planning on it! :D I'm so excited!!

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Depending on what's available in your yard, part of a branch works nicely for a perch too. Just look for one that has a couple branch stubs that will keep it from rolling around.

5. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Okay thank you :D

6. weirdlywired

weirdlywired Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2016
    Bellevue NE
    My Coop
    When mine were tiny, one of their favorite toys was a piece of cardboard fashioned into a long triangle (maybe 12 inches long and 6 inches high), with a window cut out of one side. They would play in/on that for hours and then crash out next to it. It was precious!

7. The Golden Egg5

Nov 5, 2016
    Boone, North Carolina
    Haha aww! Sounds so cute :love

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    They also like to push around a brightly colored ball

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by