Baby chick running around crying with wings out almost looks blind

Mandyweaver

Chirping
Aug 12, 2018
cumming ga
I've had 3 incubated chicks do this to me at around the 2.5 week mark. She is relatively quiet now, normally the crying is really really loud. It almost seems like she cannot see, though it may be just really painful/uncomfortable. No accident or injuries just starts off with her putting her wings out, crying loud, crouching while walking, being generally uncomfortable (wont eat or drink during episode). I would hate to think it is something we are doing wrong. She hangs out on old (clean) blankets off the floor (on my bed lol)with a clear heat bulb during the day and once in brooder a red bulb.

I've had 3 incubated chicks do this to me at around the 2.5 week mark. She is relatively quiet now, normally the crying is really really loud. It almost seems like she cannot see, though it may be just really painful/uncomfortable. No accident or injuries just starts off with her putting her wings out, crying loud, crouching while walking, being generally uncomfortable (wont eat or drink during episode). I would hate to think it is something we are doing wrong. She hangs out on old (clean) blankets off the floor (on my bed lol)with a clear heat bulb during the day and once in brooder a red bulb.
Chick looks too hot. Definitely looks anxious and uncomfortable.

It surprises me it's going back under the light in the video though so maybe it's something else. Has it eaten or drank anything other than chick starter and water?

Not that I haven't given even younger chicks treats, I'm just thinking maybe something it ate was too big? Or something?

thought the same but (heat) but she tends to drink alot when she gets hot. she was also tilting her head back and swallowing alot. she is feathering out and working hard on breaking the casing.... could it be crop related? the first time i saw this reaction on another chick a couple months ago she had gotten out of the brooder and got cold. im baffled. this video shows her after i got over my thinking she was dying and had settled a bit. it is far more intense when it starts. I am guilty of giving her broken popcorn but she just runs with it she doesnt seem to like it too much other than to play keep away.

thought the same but (heat) but she tends to drink alot when she gets hot. she was also tilting her head back and swallowing alot. she is feathering out and working hard on breaking the casing.... could it be crop related? the first time i saw this reaction on another chick a couple months ago she had gotten out of the brooder and got cold. im baffled. this video shows her after i got over my thinking she was dying and had settled a bit. it is far more intense when it starts. I am guilty of giving her broken popcorn but she just runs with it she doesnt seem to like it too much other than to play keep away.

i prefer using a Q tip dipped in her water (Electrolyte) i find it less tromatic when she is panicking. At the same time she gets her frustrations out on the tip instead of my hand. though she is acting like she is hot she is cool to the touch so i suspect something else

Can you post some photos of the poop?

You mention that you've had others do this - what happened to them - did they die or are they o.k.?

I agree, she looks too hot.
If she is in the house, how warm is your room temperature? What does she do if you turn the heat lamp off - does she seem o.k. then?

Do you provide chick grit for her?

Back
Top Bottom