Baby chick scratching alot

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by That other guy, Jul 2, 2016.

1. That other guy

That other guy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 18, 2015
    Missouri
    We have a Black Jersey Giant chick that is 3 days old, and has scratched its head, parts of its neck and right wing raw. It stops for a while then starts scratching again. It does this off and on, it still eats, and drinks fine and regularly. However, we have no idea why it is doing this.

It has been quarantined away from the other chicks in case its a bug or something. Any ideas on what it could be? We used pine shavings for the bedding, newspaper for the first two days. No other chicks have expressed the same symptoms as this one.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    For some reason some chicks seem to be more itchy than others. The shedding of the downy and new pin feathers coming in can be painful and I would assume itchy. Check her over closely for any signs of lice/mites or even where possibly ants may have bitten her.

Photos may be helpful.

For raw areas, you can apply a small amount of plain neosporin or a+d ointment to help soothe and heal.

3. alessadry

alessadry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Wyorp Rock, do you happen to know if this can happen to a chick as young as a day old too? I thought the new feathers came in later. My chick is losing all the feathers on neck from scratching and worried it will injure itself.

Edited to add: sorry, mine should actually be 3-days old considering the trip they took to get here, so I guess since it started the same time, it should be getting new feathers causing this? This chick already pulled out 3 wing feathers!
    I am also wondering if it's Jersey Giant things, since it happened to 2 Jersey last time, and the OP is also about Jersey Giant.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by