baby chick seems sick

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CandaceNoel, Feb 6, 2014.

1. CandaceNoel

CandaceNoel Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2014
    Mentone, Ca
    Just picked her up, along with 3 others, but only this baby seems to Not be moving around as much, she can move but just lays there and seems like she is sleeping. She also looks younger than the other three.
    Help
    [​IMG]

2. ninena102

ninena102 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2014
    I had 15 baby silkies sent to me. They were shipped out on Monday, Feb. 3rd and the post office called and told me they were in at 5:30 a.m. We picked them up at 6.

When I opened the box, I had 9 alive, 2 barely.....When I got home, I checked them and put their little beaks in the water and shown them their chick starter. My brooder's temperature is a steady 95 degrees. And there is plenty of room for them to get away from the heat if needed.

Two of the weaker ones would just either stand or lay down. I left them alone for about 30 minutes. After watching the rest of the chicks eating and drinking, I started working with the 2. I put electrolytes in their quart drinking container. I also had it warm, not hot water. I kept on dipping their little beaks into the water......Then I left them alone for a while.

After about an hour, I did it again...I noticed one was up and walking with the others....so I concentrated on the one that was not walking around. I read on one of the threads to feed it hard boiled egg yolk......So I showed the baby the water again....and mashed up a quarter of the egg yolk....She started eating it........After she ate her fill....I showed her the water again....She then went to sleep...

Later that evening, I tried again to feed her a little more egg yolk...She would not eat!!! or drink!!!....It was around 10:30 p.m. and I thought to myself......her life is in God's hands....

At 2 a.m., I checked the chicks......both of the weak ones were walking around with the other chicks.........I gave them all fresh food...

At 3 a.m. I checked them again....they were all asleep...

At 6 a.m. I checked them again...the weakest one came running to my hand!!!! I ran and got some more egg yolk, warmed it up in the microwave to get the chill out of it...and that baby chick was pecking with vigor at the yolk in my hand....

I kept checking them out throughout the day and both of the weak ones were with the other chicks...

Then at 4:30, the baby started to chirp again... I guess telling me she's wants more...Well, this time I took the mashed up yolk, rolled it around in the chick starter and the baby ate again...

By this time, my other chicks were wanting in on the yolks too...so I mixed what I had left...perhaps a half of an egg yolk and mixed it with their feed...they all ran to it....

My little one ate in her separate egg and chick starter mix...but occasionally I would have to put some on my finger.....

Now, they are all doing well.....But I am having to check on them about every 1-2 hours...I've noticed, that I can observe the weaker ones maybe needing a little extra help occasionally....

I have to say the advice is very good on this website...lots of experienced people....I am not experienced but I have taken the advice of others on this website.....

Now, my question to the community, if I feed my chicks a yolk a day, but maybe twice a day....is that alright? Mine are only 3 days old, but seems to be making very good progress...

3. CandaceNoel

Jan 25, 2014
    Mentone, Ca
    Good info, much thanks, I realized that the baby is just a few days younger than the other three. But I did feed her egg yoke and make sure she was drinking. I think when I picked her up from the feed Store the others were so much bigger they weren't allowing her to eat.

4. CandaceNoel

Jan 25, 2014
    Mentone, Ca
    I would imagine as long as it is only a snack and you're not giving as actual feed. They need their feed very important. Regarding the yolk

5. ninena102

Feb 3, 2014
    Yes. It is just an energy booster. I mixed it in their starter food and all of them ran to it and ate. My little weak was in the midst of them. I am only using 3/4 of a half of a yolk and only twice in a 24 period. I will back down to one little feeding per day and then tomorrow, I will stop feeding it to them and they will be back on all starter food.

6. CandaceNoel

Jan 25, 2014
    Mentone, Ca
    Nice plan of action. :)

7. ninena102

Feb 3, 2014
    It seems to be working.They are like mini road runners. One even flapped his little wings and flew a few inches. Lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by