Baby Chick Shipping?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by MeanV2, Feb 27, 2013.

1. MeanV2

MeanV2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2013
    Do any you ship 15 or less chicks and if you do then do you add in a heat pack? If anyone has experience with these shipping heat packs are they safe?

Do most of you that ship chicks send them Express or Priority?

Thanks!

Dan

2. 4 the Birds

4 the Birds Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2010
    Westfield, Indiana
    Hatcheries usually have a minimum order of 25. You can split an order with Tractor Supply if you talk to the manager (I have done that before). They normally only ship after a certain date in the Spring so that they stay warm (you pick them up at the post office). Another option is to buy local or from a farm store that has chicks in bins at the store.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. Xelajason

Xelajason Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    Meyer hatchery has a 15 chick minimum until april. they ship them with a heat pack. but it is placed under the bedding so it is not in direct contact with the chicks

4. Karen12

Karen12 Out Of The Brooder

I just ordered the 10 bantam pullet deal from cackle. They shipped Monday and I got them today (Wednesday) they included 2 heat packs and all 11 chicks are alive and chasing each their around as of now. They shipped though a snow storm and got delayed at the airport and they still made it :)

5. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    That's what I am looking for. I just want to make sure how, if, and when the heat pack should be used.

Dan

6. Xelajason

Xelajason Out Of The Brooder

Feb 9, 2013
    @ meanV2 If the Hatchery thinks the chicks will need a heat pack while they are being shipped the hatchery puts it in the box under the bedding, The heat pack is already In use when the chicks are shipped by the time they get to you can just toss the heat pack. I hope that answers your question.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  7. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    Not worried about what a Hatchery does. This is about an individual shipping chicks and making that decision. I assumed there are several breeders on here who ship chicks, etc. and would tell how they determine the answer to this question.

Thanks for the participation so far.

Dan

8. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I've received shipped chicks, from a breeder, only once.

Since the chicks were 5 weeks old and shipped in April, I don't think heat was an issue. I don't know breeders who'd risk shipping chicks any earlier than April, nor any later than early June. Heat of summer is just as deadly.

Shipping day old chicks could likely go priority, as the hatchery shipping shows, as the chick doesn't eat or drink for 24-48 hours anyhow. Older chicks should be shipped Express, which while very, very expensive, is what is needed. 24 hours without food and water is pushing the envelope, I feel.

KathyinMO sent our birds, last April by Express. 22 hours, door to door, with the final leg being by courier.

9. MeanV2

Feb 15, 2013
    There are breeders that are offering to ship chicks in March. I would say heat can be as damaging as cold if it is too much.

Dan

10. KatieBugg

KatieBugg Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 21, 2010
    Holts Summit, MO
    Cackle Hatchery has a 15 chick minimum, but they also have City/Town specials where you can get as few as 5 birds. They put in a heat pack this time of year and yes the heat packs are safe :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by