Baby chick showing signs of paralysis? Mareks?

Salsaaa

Hatching
Jun 10, 2020
I have four 1 month old chicks that I bought from a hatchery. Buying from them I assumed they vaccinated them but I was a huge idiot for not asking them.

Her weight is normal. I’ve quarantined her.
She’s been showing symptoms for two days. I assumed it was a broken leg.
She was unable to walk properly or walked with a limp, but we checked her foot and there was no wounds or injuries or nothing seemed to be broken.

And her leg got worse after that (today) she sneezes periodically and one of her eyes closes, and she opens her mouth and like tastes the air quite often. One of her wings are droopy while she sits.

And she moves her head around in her sleep like. I was watching her and she moved it to face directly at me then moved it around it.

The bird has been drinking water and eating corn and meal worms. ( I live in the city and Finding chicken related items is unlikely, they’re not popular pets in my city)
Poop is runny but normal coloured.

Treatments I’m trying are: Force feeding water with vitamin E and B in it. Sometimes attempting to force feed yogurt mixed with water and those vitamins. Boiled eggs. Corn.

I will do ANYTHING you guys recommend me to do because I love her so much and will try my best to find whatever medications or products for her I just want her to live. Sorry if I rambled to much I’m just so upset!

(About vets I am looking for one that can help with my chick but many of the ones I’m looking at have terrible reviews about being overcharged then pets dying a few days later. But I have found one, that is an hour away should I go if this is Mareks disease? Is there any hope?)

Main problems: when she tries to stand up or walk she loses balance and falls over and stumbles, seems that she’s weak on one leg or one half of her body. I have included some pictures and will be updating this thread with a video once I catch her doing it.

Here are photos of how she sits and her legs and eyes etc. FA5B0BFA-BB43-418A-8E92-EA3626CAC230.jpeg 625F88E5-AC9B-4A63-97DF-2B57B621D087.jpeg 4AA5BB18-46EE-4603-B027-225484CF6CDE.jpeg C9E144F3-1B7C-4571-A8DB-459D78F01796.jpeg DC7946CF-3BAF-4435-B13C-697F56602284.jpeg FA5B0BFA-BB43-418A-8E92-EA3626CAC230.jpeg

First, she really needs a balanced chick starter, not corn and meal worms. What city are you located? Even some Walmarts in my area sell chicken feed, but most cities have a feed store or Tractor Supply that has chicken feed. Online in the US, you can get it online. Vitamin deficiencies can cause problems walking. B complex tablets 1/2 tablet daily crushed into food or a small amount of water is good to use, since it has riboflavin and other B’s.

Mareks cannot possible show symptoms in chicks less than 5 weeks old, and are more common in chicks a few months old. Can you post a picture of her standing from the front, so that we can see the leg problem and hold her standing if needed.

First, she really needs a balanced chick starter, not corn and meal worms. What city are you located? Even some Walmarts in my area sell chicken feed, but most cities have a feed store or Tractor Supply that has chicken feed. Online in the US, you can get it online. Vitamin deficiencies can cause problems walking. B complex tablets 1/2 tablet daily crushed into food or a small amount of water is good to use, since it has riboflavin and other B’s.

Mareks cannot possible show symptoms in chicks less than 5 weeks old, and are more common in chicks a few months old. Can you post a picture of her standing from the front, so that we can see the leg problem and hold her standing if needed.
I’m living in Toronto! Every time I google for chicken feed or chick feed in my city the results are chicken feed on the Canadian version of craigslist* Im sorry :(
And yes Here’s a video, showing her panting? and shaking and me attempting to stand her up. Video link.

She looks very weak. Do you have some electrolytes or Gatorade that you can get her drinking? What do her poops look like? She might have a problem with her right foot or leg possibly causing her not to get around to eat and drink as much as she needs. Dehydration, possible coccidiosis, or a riboflavin(vitamin B2) deficiency might be possible. Slipped tendon, injury, or leg bone deformity could be an issue with her leg. I would prop her up and feed her watery chick feed and a little cooked egg every. 2-3 hours. If coccidiosis is suspected, amprollium is the drug needed for treatment, and that comes from a vet in Canada. Signs of coccidiosis are lethargy, not eating, runny droppings, and siting or standing puffed up.

She looks very weak. Do you have some electrolytes or Gatorade that you can get her drinking? What do her poops look like? She might have a problem with her right foot or leg possibly causing her not to get around to eat and drink as much as she needs. Dehydration, possible coccidiosis, or a riboflavin(vitamin B2) deficiency might be possible. Slipped tendon, injury, or leg bone deformity could be an issue with her leg. I would prop her up and feed her watery chick feed and a little cooked egg every. 2-3 hours. If coccidiosis is suspected, amprollium is the drug needed for treatment, and that comes from a vet in Canada. Signs of coccidiosis are lethargy, not eating, runny droppings, and siting or standing puffed up.
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! Oh my GOD I was crying cause I thought she was gonna die cause I got the wrong idea of mareks!!I’ve been force feeding her water mixed with vitamin b2 and e, and have been mashing up boiled eggs for her. Thank you and of course I can do all of those things! I shall update you on her condition.

Back
Top Bottom