Baby chick sleeping more than others

Jbjuanky

Hatching
Oct 15, 2020
Hi :)

This morning I got my baby chicks in the mail and they have been an absolute joy! The only thing is that one of them seems to be sleeping way more than the rest. She was fine for most of the morning until I noticed she had a pasty butt. I had read online that this could lead to death so I took her out of the brooder, cleaned her under lukewarm water, dried her and put her back. After this she has been sleeping more than any of the others and eating and drinking a little less. Is this normal? Did I do something I shouldn’t have? Will she be ok? Thank you so much for your help. I really want them all to grow up to become healthy hens.

She could be more stressed than the others from shipping - as you can imagine it's tough on a little chick. Have you added anything like electrolytes or vitamins to their water to help perk them up? I'd add something like Poutry Nutri-Drench, Rooster Booster, Sav-a-chick, etc for the first few days to help get them through shipping stress.

Thank you so much for your response! I added apple cider vinegar. Would you recommend adding something else along with the vinegar or instead?

Thank you so much for your response! I added apple cider vinegar. Would you recommend adding something else along with the vinegar or instead?

I don't use ACV, I didn't see any real effect from it other than a slimy waterer so I discontinued use.

I would pick up one of the products I mentioned above, ideally something with some electrolytes - it gives chicks a quick boost and hopefully for the weaker one, will encourage her to eat and drink to build up her strength to get through the first few days.

Back
Top Bottom