Baby chick sleeping more than others?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by dominique man, Aug 5, 2014.

1. dominique man

dominique man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    I've got an exchequer leghorn chick that sleeps more than the others, these are short little naps and then she wakes up and is pretty alert and active. I know that chicks sleep a lot but she sleeps all the time in short spans. She eats and drinks fine but not as often as the others. Is this because she is smaller? Is she sick? What can I do to help her? I think shipping was rough on her as I just go them today. Here is a picture
    [​IMG]

2. Nothing seems abnormal. Some chicks just sleep more.

I would not be alarmed or concerned by your description.

Wish ya the best.

3. danceinchicken

danceinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2013
    VERMONT
    Hello there. Not sure what's up with yours, but it sounds just like my little dumpling. She is now 16 weeks and her growth is still behind the rest, but other than that she has been fine. I think the shipping stressed her also. Some times there is a so called runt I'm sure. Also when talking to others about her stunted growth, I found some don't make it, mine has but I wont breed her. Hope this helped some ? Maybe some one will have a better answer ? Good luck..[​IMG]

4. dominique man

dominique man Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2014
    Findlay Ohio
    is it possible that you accidently received a bantam?

5. danceinchicken

danceinchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2013
    VERMONT
    I thought about that, but her growth patterns skipped around. Like the pin feathers came in partly then on to the neck feathers partly, it was like she was only doing half of every one else. At one point I determined she was about 4 weeks behind.!?!? But all the same size and birth date when they came in, same food same appetite, she just seemed a little slow. I'll have to look into the Golden Laced Bantam again, all I know about them is they grow slower and are smaller.

Thanks dominique man...[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by