baby chick something wrong with leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by teacherleah, Jan 3, 2013.

1. teacherleah

teacherleah New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    I have a baby sex link that has large feet. I wonder if one of its legs are injured because when she stands, she stands on her left foot with her right foot. It is very difficult for her to move around the cage without stumbling and awkwardness.

What should I do? Her legs are crossed when she stands up and she always favors the same leg. She is still drinking and eating, but sometimes I bring the food to her and water her with a dropper so that she doesn't have to move around as much. She seems comfortable otherwise.

2. teacherleah

teacherleah New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    I also have her separated from the other chicks so that she does not get trampled or injured further.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It is fairly common to have a chick with splayed or spraddle leg, which is just the opposite of what you are describing. It is easily treated by cutting a bandaid longways in half and putting around the chick's legs to hold them in a normal way. Usually it takes about 3 days for them to build up the muscle strength to take the bandaid off and walk normally. I have done this successfully. These problems are sometimes caused by incubators, but I would give it a try.

4. teacherleah

teacherleah New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    If that is the fix for the opposite of what I described, then I don't really understand how it would help. Am I missing something? It seems like putting a bandaid around her legs would contribute to her keeping them together.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It may make her hold them apart enough to build up the muscles. I only made this as a suggestion, since I have never heard of this. Chicks can be born with all sorts of muscle, neurological, or skeletal problems--you can try it unless something better is suggested.

6. teacherleah

teacherleah New Egg

Jan 3, 2013
    Okay, I understand the logic now. The point is to hold her legs apart until she gets used to walking with them that way or strengthens the weak one.

I would have to use something stronger than a band-aid, though, right? A bandaid doesn't have much resistance and the chick could easily collapse it and cross its legs again.

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it!

7. teacherleah

teacherleah New Egg

Jan 3, 2013

8. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Could you post pictures?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by