Baby chick splayed leg or slipped tendon

mnchickens2001

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 17, 2015
I have a 2 day old silky chick that has a splayed leg or slipped Achilles' tendon. His hock is bent forwards or opposite where it should be. I can bend it into the correct position without seeming to harm the chick but it does not stay there. When he is on the ground his leg bends out behind him and the front of his hock is swollen because of it. What is wrong with the chick and how can I fix it?? Please help. :hit

Edit: the bottom part of his leg does not bend foward

Last edited:
I have a 2 day old silkie that has almost an identical injury as yours except my chickens leg sits forward and it's knee bends in towards its body and can't weight bare?

This sounds like mine now. The toes on the right are now turned in. I put the hobble back on and regret i took it off because it is hard to get it back on. She bounces on her bum backwards ansd forward and if it werent for her silkie sis whom i named angel who properly pecks and motivates i dont know whatbo qould do.i am still doing 1/4 cup waterto a droper of poly vi sol no iron for all the b viramjns for the leg issues. The vet says if she keeps gaining weight she shoild be ok. My husband thinks i am crazy. The sibling cochins railroad her so they are in the br [der box by a cardboard divider. Please keep me posted on your success. I wish you the best. I do hate to see the little ones suffer. If she declines i will take her to the vet but for now she is gainibg a little weight day by day

The end of the story is i took her to the vet and he put the hobbles back on. The night before she choked ok a piece of starter feed. The corn was too big. Next ti.e get the baby bird formula and only use that. Forget the yogurt it thickens and causes issues. She passed away before i could get home with the formula. Turned over in the hobbles and couldnt get upright. Go with your gut and constant suoervision. At least here we can all lwarn from each other

Back
Top Bottom