Baby Chick Spraddle leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by FireflyTX, Mar 10, 2017.

1. FireflyTX

FireflyTX Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    I have a 5 day old chick with what i believe she has is spraddle leg, For a few days I have just been taking her out of the brooder several times a day to make sure she drinks and eats. She seems completly fine other than the fact she won't put weight on the one leg and she holds it out but it doesn't seem to hurt her. I learned how to do a brace but if I put her back with her sisters they bite at her legs with the brace. My question is when she is by herself and awake she cries. Im sure it is cause she is lonely. Is it ok to just let her cry. She is plenty warm and has food and water. I am determined to get this chick better or she is going to learn to hop on one leg.

2. Chickens/chicks don't like to be alone. I don't think it's straddle leg. Could u post pics? :welcome

3. FireflyTX

FireflyTX Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    This is actually an improvement over the last day. And even a bit since I braced to her other leg. So maybe just keep taking her out to feed and water and put her back with her sisters w no brace? Or brace and separate. Her toes will curl around my finger ok with no issue. And no crying when I move her leg around. I know she doesn't like to be alone but i want whats best to help her heal. Anytime I come into my office to work I keep her in a towel on my lap. She seems to love that.

Here a video of her

4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

What do you use on the bottom of the brooder?.....Pine shaving are best......Might need a brace?.....

Cheers!

5. I have had to separate chicks before to keep them from being trampled. If there is another chick that is even a little weaker than the others, you could put that one with the one that is having trouble. Has it been doing better with or without the brace?

Oh yes, and use pine wood chips/shavings if you have them. I would not reccomend hay.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  6. FireflyTX

FireflyTX Just Hatched

Feb 8, 2017
    I tried putting another chick with her. They are not having it. I can't tell if she is just figuring out to get around or it's actually getting better. My gut is telling me to keep her separate and brace it. Every time I put her back with the rest she just gets pushed around and she just hobbles her way back to the heat plate. It's almost like she get defeated when I put her with the rest even though she wants to be with them.

7. Sounds like you should just separate. You have another way to keep the separated one warm, right? Like a heat lamp or heating plate?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by