Baby chick spreading wings out

GinGia

Chirping
Jun 27, 2019
Middle Tennessee
I think i have this figured out but wanted to ask the seasoned pros on here. My baby chicks are 3 days old and happy and healthy (thank God). My question is sometimes when i check on them, one or two will be squatted down with their wings extended. Is this their mechanism for cooling down? When i see this, they are under the light in the corner however have plenty of space to move away from the light if they feel too warm.

thanks!
Regina

azygous

Crossing the Road
10 Years
Dec 11, 2009
Colorado Rockies
As @Pyxis says, they are likely assuming the sunbathing posture. It's an instinct when they feel heat to want to spread their wings for maximum absorption of vitamin D. They, of course, lack the experience to discern between a lamp and the actual sun.

Be prepared to find them on their sides with legs akimbo, resembling a death posture. That's when we really hear from upset folks who think "something's got to be wrong".

GinGia

Chirping
Jun 27, 2019
Middle Tennessee
As @Pyxis says, they are likely assuming the sunbathing posture. It's an instinct when they feel heat to want to spread their wings for maximum absorption of vitamin D. They, of course, lack the experience to discern between a lamp and the actual sun.

Be prepared to find them on their sides with legs akimbo, resembling a death posture. That's when we really hear from upset folks who think "something's got to be wrong".
oh gosh i'm glad you mentioned them with akimbo, i would have MELTED down lol. Thank you!

Chicken Heel

Songster
Jun 8, 2019
After 50+ years of raising chickens, it never gets old having baby chicks and watching them exhibit traits like the sunning themselves mentioned here, scratching in the litter for morsels, etc. There is nothing quite as adorable for me.

GinGia

Chirping
Jun 27, 2019
Middle Tennessee
After 50+ years of raising chickens, it never gets old having baby chicks and watching them exhibit traits like the sunning themselves mentioned here, scratching in the litter for morsels, etc. There is nothing quite as adorable for me.
I agree. I grew up with my grandparents owning an egg business. We had over 70K layers and i remember playing with them as a kid, then working with gathering the eggs when l got older. Now that i'm older and have to the chance to actually raise them from chicks up, i really enjoy it.

Top Bottom