Baby chick squinting?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MidnightGyps, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MidnightGyps

MidnightGyps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    I just had some baby Belgian D'Uccles and Wyandottes hatch out and I've noticed one of my Belgian bubs has squinty eyes, photos below. S/he was born with it, and it is not contagious as s/he is the only one with this. Any ideas on what this is? There was a tiny bit of eye discharge but that was it.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks in advance to anyone who answers :)

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hope your chick is doing better, was it one eye or both eyes? The eye underneath seems fine? I had a chick which I think one of the hatch mates either stepped on/pecked that had an eye that looked like that picture, did put some ophthalmic ointment on it and it turned out fine, but the chick didn't want to really open the eye for a day or two.

3. MidnightGyps

MidnightGyps Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2013
    Thanks for your answer :) It is both eyes but one is much worse than the other. I also forgot to mention that it's a whole lot worse in the morning (eye's closed) and it gradually opens them over the day, and they're like those pictures at about 4 in the arvy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by