Baby chick stole hubby's heart!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aglyphic creatures, Jan 20, 2011.

1. aglyphic creatures

aglyphic creatures Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2010
    PA
    Let me start by saying we have quite a few different critters.... Hubby has his, I have mine and we have our "shared" ones [​IMG] . When I first got Silkies he never batted an eye. He helped build the coop/run and shop for supplies as well as pick out the original first 3 blues... He did, however, ask why I wanted them as chickens "just weren't his thing". He would make sure they were safe and "tucked in" at night, but that's about the extent of his interaction with them.

Well, I decided to hatch some eggs recently and once they hatched, I of course, ooohed and ahhhed all over them. He was pretty much indifferent. I was talking to my son tonight about keeping the ones that I want and selling a few to some friends when he overheard the conversation and simply stated..."the one with the racing stripes is STAYING!" I about fell over! Hubby has come out of the closet!!! I knew he secretly liked them but wouldn't admit to it!

The culprit...

[​IMG]

2. TamiHunter

TamiHunter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 19, 2009
    Saint Helens, Oregon
    We have a baby silkie that looks just like that one...my DH named it "Rally" because of it's striped on it's back!! The are just as nuts about them as we are! They should all just come out about it already!! [​IMG]

3. chocolate m'scovy

chocolate m'scovy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2010
    Awwww! What a sweet story! [​IMG] It's kind of funny how he didn't really say, "Hey! I really like that one!"
    And yes, the culprit is sweet and innocent looking.... [​IMG]

4. Petej

Petej Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    I would keep the "racing stripes" too! Hes adorable!

My DW was the same as your DH when I started Incubating the eggs in December. The first Chicken to hatch, I brought to her when it was fluffy and dry. She came out then......

5. chocolate m'scovy

Jan 14, 2010
    Quote:You did that on purpose didn't you? [​IMG]

6. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    YES!

Totally worth it!

Now I just torture her in the wee hours of the morning by picking up the first chicken on the porch and letting it walk over her while she sleeps... [​IMG]

The last time I brought in a Rooster. I haven't lived it down yet! [​IMG]

7. chocolate m'scovy

Jan 14, 2010
    Quote:Why? What effect does that have? Hmm? [​IMG]

8. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    Well, normally she tells me take the chicken back out, but the rooster happened to crow, very loudly in fact, while he was walking on the bed.

She was wide awake then!! [​IMG]

I should add, we usually pull shenanigans on each other, so I needed a twist. The chickens worked in my favor....

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011
  9. chocolate m'scovy

Jan 14, 2010
    Quote:Soo.....was chicken soup on the menu for dinner the next day? [​IMG]

10. Petej

Dec 6, 2010
    PDX area
    chocolate m'scovy :

Soo.....was chicken soup on the menu for dinner the next day? [​IMG]

Nope, but I got nice chicken breasts in the freezer!

We culled one of the older hens that stopped producing eggs. My neighbor took the carcass for stock and I kept the breasts and froze them.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by