Baby chick struggling to walk

Madrock

Chirping
Jun 15, 2020
Hi all,

I am currently brooding some dark Brahmas, and I have one that all of a sudden is struggling to walk. The group is one week old. We had a couple that developed pasty butt, so we cleaned them off like we normally do in a gentle manner. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, so we sent them on their way back into the brooder.

Fast forward a couple hours, and one of the recently cleaned chicks is being extra noisy. When we check on her, she is being pecked by a couple of the others. We immediately isolated her and notice her vent is protruding a bit, which it was not when she was cleaned. As the first hour passes by in isolation with nothing more than Preparation H on her vent, she can no longer stand. We administer some Nutridrench, keep her wrapped up in our hands for a bit, and then send her back into isolation. She can finally stand, but she is weak and falls down easily.

As the hours go on, we notice her chirps are getting lower and lower in sound. She looks dehydrated, so we gave her some sugar water. That gave her some energy back, but she still cannot walk without falling over. She can see her friends while in isolation, and the poor thing is trying to call them over, but a very faint chirp is heard.

Any thoughts on what it could be or what I could be missing? Her flock was vaccinated for mareks. At one point, I tried to give her some yolk, but she would not take much.

I have broodered a lot over the years for family and friends, and I have never lost one. I will be heartbroken if I lose this one. I understand it may be a failure to thrive situation, but it is tough.

Last edited:
Do you have a b complex vitamin you can crush into the yolk and then feed to her? Keep trying to get her to eat. Chicks fade fast when they don't eat. If you could also try to get her to drink more sweetened water to wet her appetite.

Do you have a b complex vitamin you can crush into the yolk and then feed to her? Keep trying to get her to eat. Chicks fade fast when they don't eat. If you could also try to get her to drink more sweetened water to wet her appetite.
She was struggling to open her beak to eat the yolk yesterday. I tried again this morning, and she took a little bit. I don’t have B complex vitamins but will get some asap. I do have the chick vitamin water mix, so I gave her some of that this morning. The brooder water was mainly Nutridrench, but I swapped one out with the vitamin water that has B12. None of the other chicks are affected.

Hi all,

I am currently brooding some dark Brahmas, and I have one that all of a sudden is struggling to walk. The group is one week old. We had a couple that developed pasty butt, so we cleaned them off like we normally do in a gentle manner. Nothing seemed out of the ordinary, so we sent them on their way back into the brooder.

Fast forward a couple hours, and one of the recently cleaned chicks is being extra noisy. When we check on her, she is being pecked by a couple of the others. We immediately isolated her and notice her vent is protruding a bit, which it was not when she was cleaned. As the first hour passes by in isolation with nothing more than Preparation H on her vent, she can no longer stand. We administer some Nutridrench, keep her wrapped up in our hands for a bit, and then send her back into isolation. She can finally stand, but she is weak and falls down easily.

As the hours go on, we notice her chirps are getting lower and lower in sound. She looks dehydrated, so we gave her some sugar water. That gave her some energy back, but she still cannot walk without falling over. She can see her friends while in isolation, and the poor thing is trying to call them over, but a very faint chirp is heard.

Any thoughts on what it could be or what I could be missing? Her flock was vaccinated for mareks. At one point, I tried to give her some yolk, but she would not take much.

I have broodered a lot over the years for family and friends, and I have never lost one. I will be heartbroken if I lose this one. I understand it may be a failure to thrive situation, but it is tough.
what ever happened to that chick that was having trouble standing?

Update: she passed away. Poor little thing was finally at peace.
its sad isn't it? Nature does not have a sympathetic heart. I have lost 4 in the last month to a predator and went and got 4 pullets. I was dead set against youngsters, but in the end, I drove an hour each way and got 4. I hope the one that seems to be breathing from her beak at exhalations is not sick, just stressed. Doing the b-complex thing and Nutri Drench. Breeder said to use Terramycin, but I'm uncomfortable doing this without going to a Vet.

its sad isn't it? Nature does not have a sympathetic heart. I have lost 4 in the last month to a predator and went and got 4 pullets. I was dead set against youngsters, but in the end, I drove an hour each way and got 4. I hope the one that seems to be breathing from her beak at exhalations is not sick, just stressed. Doing the b-complex thing and Nutri Drench. Breeder said to use Terramycin, but I'm uncomfortable doing this without going to a Vet.
I’m sorry for your loss. It’s really tough when there is such a bond with them.

Back
Top Bottom