Baby chick stumbling and can't keep balance.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by katychick, Mar 3, 2013.

1. katychick

katychick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2013
    One of our 4 day old silkies is having trouble walking, standing up right and kind of wobbles over. Some background is that when she was 2 days old I found her with a bloody toe that she and her siblings were pulling at. We cleaned her up, put some antibacterial ointment on and then some medical tape over it. Things seemed great, no problems walking, she left it alone, eating and drinking great and very feisty and energetic. Now today she can't keep her balance and seems to have trouble with the same foot. The foot looks fine, not red or swollen at all. I separated her so that others would leave her alone and not pick on her but now she is very upset, chirping constantly, won't eat or drink. I tried a hard boiled yolk but she barley pokes at it. Not sure what to do? Any ideas?

2. Haunted55

Haunted55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Does she still have the tape on her foot?

3. katychick

Mar 3, 2013
    No the tape is off and the toe looks fine.

4. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    Is it because the chick thinks she needs the tape to walk? Do you give the vitamins in their water?

5. katychick

Mar 3, 2013
    When we took the tape off, she didn't skip a beat. Ran all over with no problems, until now, approximately 12 hours later. We haven't added vitamins but we did give with electrolyte water....

6. Haunted55

Feb 15, 2012
    Central Maine
    It could be nothing but I would give her some vitamins like Sav-a-Chick in their water can't hurt and might help. It could be as simple as the shavings or bedding you're using doesn't feel good on that foot as it's been covered up. I'd try putting her back with the others if you are able to watch what happens. Being seperated from her flock is very upsetting, if you don't think she can be with the others at least put her close enough that she can hear them but better would be see them as well. I brood my chicks in clear totes for the first 4 weeks just incase something like this happens. That way I can always take an injured one out of the main and put them into a smaller one right next to them. Less strssfull and no issues when you add them back to the others.

7. katychick

Mar 3, 2013
    HELP!!!!!! I put her in a smaller clear bin next to the main one but she was still very upset. So I decided to move the bin in the room with me so I could keep her company. I decided to hold her next to me since I was worried about heat and now she only wants to be held!!! I tried putting her back in the main bin but the other chicks are picking on her horribly and I just couldn't stand it. Am I hurting the situation by making her an outcast? Or are they picking on her because she is lame?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by