1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby Chick suddenly dies

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by spateslak, Mar 14, 2013.

1. spateslak

spateslak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Hi guys this is my first hatch today and I was so
    surprised because all but 1 of my eggs hatched today at 2 PM. The chicks dried off and I moved them to the brooder because there was still some eggs in the process of pipping when some of the other chicks were already dry and knocking the pipping eggs around so I moved them but when I went down to check on them one was dead! I was so heartbroken and in shock because this chick had been the first to hatch and was the most lively and outgoing and easily the largest of the bunch! I don't know what went wrong! The chicks were running around and playing, testing out the new food and water and I even put some of the Grogel B out for them and they weren't all huddle under the lamp so I know they were cold I just have no idea what happened and now I'm mortified to go look and see if the same thing will happen with the chicks I have in the brooder now! Any ideas what happened or what I could do? Thank you so much!

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This happens with a certain % of chicks. You will probably never know why. There are a great number of possibilities. This is discussed at length in a sticky on this forum (blue box at the top of the forum.) As long as the rest seem healthy, there is nothing you need to do.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I don't think this was the reason your chick died...but...for the 1st 36 to 48 hours, chicks don't need feed. They live off their egg sack. Water ( and and Gro-Gel if you wish) are all they need.
    Best,
    Karen

4. spateslak

spateslak Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2013
    Okay great I was so worried thanks guys!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by