Baby chick suffering!

arenanne

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 2, 2013
Our baby chicks are about 4 and 3 days old now. One, the youngest one, had a very complicated birth. We had to help hatch him because he had pecked a hole in his egg but couldn't get out. As of right now, we think his hip is dislocated because he can't stand and when he sits...his leg spreads straight out. We also think he's blind because of how cloudy his eyes are. The other chicks with him sit on him but also run him over. We have witnessed once another chick bringing food over to him because he can not get it himself. I'm very worried and I'm wondering if the other chicks will try to keep him alive if they know he's suffering?

Poor baby :( I don't think chickens are the most compassionate of animals and will often pick on or kill a member of the flock who isn't right. They are also known to be cannibalistic. I would imagine that it is just coincidence that the one chick dropped food near it. The only time I've witnessed a chicken giving food to another or protecting another is in the case of a flock rooster caring for his hens. If you are intent on this chick surviving, you will have to be the one to help it out. Also, google spraddle leg to get info on helping the leg issue.

Back
Top Bottom