Baby chick that won't eat

sixbabychicks14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
Hi everyone, I hope someone can help with this little baby. He was born with the yolk sack out on Sunday evening. He was due to hatch on the 26th and didn't pip till Sunday sometime. When he finally hatched some of the yolk was still present so i took the advice of some of the members and wet gause in warm water and wrapped a makeshift diaper for about 12 hours or so and it started to absorb. When it finally did, I just continued to keep him in the incubator till last nite, but i can't get him to eat or drink by himself. We have given him water in a tiny dropper and tried to encourage him to eat, I grinded the starter down to almost powder, even trying to wet it and put some on his beak but to no avail. He is still walking around and tries to climb out to get to me when he sees me, wants to be held, but can't really stay awake very long. I don't know what to do at this point as I have fallen in love with him and want to do everything to save him. Is there anything that anyone knows I could feed him that would sustain him till he wants to eat on his own? I thought he'd die, but he won't give up so I'm not either. If anyone has had this problem please let me know if he can be saved. Thank you for any help....

love2grinchicke

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 5, 2013
Virginia
He doesn't need to eat for the first 3 days, after absorbing the yolk sak. Just love him a lot, and try sugar water. That will pep him up. Not too much though. I gave too much one time, and a poor little guy was on a sugar high for hours.

sixbabychicks14

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 22, 2014
Thanks! I'll try that. Hadn't thought to do that. He kind of acts like he's choking or something when we give him water. You know, he keeps his beak open kind of like it went down wrong. It just upsets me so much. He will seem better and then be kind of limp or on his back with his little legs pulled up, looking around. Then he rolls over and flops up again immediately going to sleep. I think he's premature. He just don't seem right, but keeps living on. Heartwrenching

Eggcessive

Enabler
Premium member
8 Years
Apr 3, 2011
southern Ohio
Dip his beak in the water to get him to drink. Dropper feeding too much at a time can cause aspiration. Have you tried some SaveAChick vitamins/electrolytes? Here is a recipe for homemade electrolytes:

HOMEMADE ELECTROLYTE SOLUTION
1/2 teaspoon salt substitute*
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon table salt
1 tablespoon sugar
1 gallon water
*Salt substitute is readily available in most grocery stores in the spice aisle near the salt, but if you do not have it, don't worry, the solution will still have most of the benefits intended to combat heat stress.

Top Bottom