baby chick that won't grow??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by trincity, Dec 22, 2016.

1. trincity

trincity New Egg

Dec 17, 2016
    Houston, Texas
    I have one chick that is significantly smaller than the rest of them. They are about 2 weeks old, I have to pick them up with 2 hands. But with this one, she still fits in one hand, she about the size she was when I first got them as day olds. I had to separate her from the flock because the others were dang near trampling her all the time and she ended up with a leg injury. this is my first batch of chickens that i'm raising, I just want to know if this is normal... will she eventually catch up??

2. chippy99th

chippy99th Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2016
    Arizona
    Could you post a picture? (Not that it will help, I don't know, but I'm quite curious.) I've never had that happen before. Are you sure they're all the same breed? Perhaps you got a bantam mixed in by mistake.

Does she seem to be suffering from any other problems? (Besides the leg injury, I mean). If they are two weeks old, then obviously she's eating and drinking. If she is acting normal, body looks normal (besides being small) and not in any pain, I wouldn't worry too much about it. She may just be a little on the short side. :)

Last edited: Dec 22, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by