Baby Chick Toe Injury

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mcstewartchick, Mar 27, 2017.

1. mcstewartchick

mcstewartchick Just Hatched

Hoping for some advice on this baby chick that came to me with a toe injury!
    I bought a handful of chicks at the feed store that includes this little Buff Orp with what looks like a broken toe. Of course, this is my very first batch of chicks EVER and I end up with an injured one. I didn't see it until we got her home and I'm afraid if I take her back to the feed store they'll just toss her. So I'll keep her and see how it goes--she seems to be eating/drinking/moving about fine, obviously doesn't want it messed with but I'm sure it's painful for her. Any recommendations on how to treat it? We did wrap a thin strip of band-aid around her toe when one of the other chicks started pecking at it, but otherwise she seems to be doing okay with it.

Any advice/recommendations/warnings on what to watch for would be appreciated!

[​IMG]

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Someone probably stepped on her or set something down on it. I think it is crushed, and she may possibly lose part of the toe up to the injury. I would put some betadine or iodine on it, and watch it. You could make her a little shoe with a piece of cardboard and paper tape or a bandaid cut to fit her foot on both sides. Here is a link to read about chick shoes:

http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/02/spraddle-leg-in-baby-chicks-what-is-it.html
    https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

[​IMG]
    photo by PDSavage
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    photos by Horsefly

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  3. mcstewartchick

mcstewartchick Just Hatched

Awesome, this is helpful. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I thought about putting some antibiotic ointment on it, since there does appear to be some flesh damage and I don't want it to get infected. Should I do that or just the iodine? I need to run to the store tonight so I can pick up some iodine then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by