1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick toys?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rpchris, Sep 3, 2011.

1. rpchris

rpchris Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Saint Louis, MO
    My chicks are about 5 days old now. They are extremely curious and love anything new that I put in their environment. First I put one of the straw mats from their shipping box on top of the paper towels. They all climbed on it and immediately went to sleep. They continue to sleep there and haven't really pooped on it. They love to peck at it and pull on any loose stands.

I then took a second straw pad and mounded it up and put it in the corner. They take turns running up and down and playing king of the mountain.

I shredded some colored paper and dropped a handful in. They love to crawl around in it and play chase with a piece.

I washed and dropped a few tiny twigs in which they love to drag around but they can't pick up them up yet.

What other toys have peopled used?

2. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    you kidding. [​IMG] Pretty basic, mouth , eat, poop and sleep

3. 10 point

10 point country boy

Feb 19, 2011
    LaFayette, NY
    a small container with sand in it will give them hours of entertainment.

4. Desert Rooster

Desert Rooster El Gallo Del Desierto

Sep 4, 2010
    Hesperia, Ca
    you can put a little mirror and a small stuffed animal

5. I never thought of chick toys.I havent had eany chicks in the past 3 years accept 3 months ago when ten of of them hatched out when I bought a rooster.best 5 bucks I ever spent.[​IMG]

6. Kaeta44

Kaeta44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds as if they've got plenty to keep them occupied. The only thing I can think of is perhaps to add things of different heights for them to explore - getting a little higher as they get bigger.

http://muckycluckers.blogspot.com/

7. Skitz

Skitz Skitz15k

Nov 11, 2008
    Texas
    do not show them plastic bags lol they run like if it was monster XD haha I think a stuffed animal would be ok [​IMG]

8. jodiea60

jodiea60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Arkansaw
    I put a cat toy in there they just look at it so far it is a hard plastic ball with a bell in it....they also see their reflection in the side of the cage and think that is interesting so I am going to pick up a small hand mirror..

9. dwegg

dwegg Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:x2 mine love it...eat it, dust bath, scratch in it...
    [​IMG]

10. riddleluvsrotties

riddleluvsrotties Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    At Home
    Might try little cardboard boxes? My little bee-zee seems to enjoy climbing in and out and on top of boxes. Her favorite so far is an empty Ivomec box lol, my guess is because it's a different color than the rest of her boxes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by