Baby chick tucking head walking backwards and flipping

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by wendychicklawyr, Feb 27, 2014.

1. wendychicklawyr

wendychicklawyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    6 day old baby Delaware from Mcmurray ..fine just hours ago I'm forcing electrolytes and sugar. She's eating and pooping water now what is this....

2. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    This could be wry neck which is a neurological symptom that could be related to a head injury or an infection, or even from brain damage. The usual treatment is to lessen any stress, and to give vitamins (especially B1, E, and selenium.) Poultry Cell and Poultry Nutridrench contain vitamins and selenium, but you can also give chick vitamins in the water or PolyVisol baby vitamins without iron 3 drops by mouth, and add some selenium--25 micrograms daily. Here is some info on wry/crook neck: http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

3. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    I been forcing chick quick and electrolytes ..and I'm going to try grow gel when she wakes omg

4. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Not thinking wry neck doesn't look like it but who knows. She does it then runs around like normal praying I can get her thru it :fl

5. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Ok yes wry neck but she isn't stargazing ..giving poly visol vitamines evey hour

6. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
  7. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah I think u are right, she seems stronger and was eating more but is still doing it [​IMG]

8. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    [​IMG]

Sick little baby asleep in my lap...up all night with poly visol electrolytes and yolk. Actually she's a lot better this am. I just gave her her meds and she crashes on my lap [​IMG]

9. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Baby chick much better today ..I think she almost died yesterday and today better..she actually flew over 3 chicks to get to the feeder!
    Magic formula is :
    1 capsule selenium
    1 capsule E
    1 dropper polyvisol
    2 droppers electrolyte water

If not eating put solution in feed tills it's musy and eyedropp feed her

10. Eggcessive

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I'm glad to hear that she is doing better today. I have never treated wry neck, but have heard that it takes time and patience to overcome, and that some don't recover. Please keep us updated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by