Baby chick vaccination or not?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by wendychicklawyr, Feb 19, 2014.

1. wendychicklawyr

wendychicklawyr Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2013
    I have 64 baby chicks coming from 2 hatcheries. Always bought from backyard breeders b4. I'm getting them vaccinated good idea or no??:/

2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Yes,good idea.

1 person likes this.
  3. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

I don't think it matter either way. Having a larger flock, it is probably a pretty good idea if you plan on introducing other chickens from other sources in the future, just in case the newbies could be infected. I'd hate to lose 64 chickens. This is just my amateur opinion so take it as just that! Can't wait for pictures of those little fuzzy butts!

4. subhanalah

subhanalah Overrun With Chickens

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Always a good idea ..........

6. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah I don't want to lose any I have like 30 + breeds coming to complicate further. I just don't want babies dying from vaccination

7. CAjerseychick

CAjerseychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    Northern California!
    We got this yrs chicks from the feedstore so I am guessing they are not vaccinated--
    if I were ordering my own batch straight from the hatchery I would go ahead and order the vaccine--
    as it is our flock is made up of some we ordered( vaccinated), some (well there is only 1 left of that batch) we got as small chicks from CL (backyard bred, unvaccinated) and some (2 left from that batch) that our broody hen hatched out and raised for us- that were not vaccinated....
    so a mixed flock, until I see a real need I wont vaccinate myself, but if I could obtain them vaccinated before they arrive home, I would....
    (just lost a chick yesterday, no idea why- they all looked fine and it was found dead, and before that we have only ever had 1 sick chicken and thats been a year)....

8. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I have been vaccinating my chicks for the past 3 years- and have not lost one yet to disease. Years ago- I had bought some chicks that were not vaccinated and we lost half of them to Marek's when they were between 16-20 weeks old- had to start over. We now show our chickens and vaccinate for Marek's, Newcastle/Bronchitis, LT and just started with Coccidosis this year. It is always a great idea to vaccinate to give them the very best start in life :)

9. wendychicklawyr

Aug 28, 2013
    Ohhh thank you I feel much better now :yiipchick

10. SplashSilkie

SplashSilkie Out Of The Brooder

Jan 11, 2014
    I just seen your post about vaccinating chicks and I have show silkies and would love to raise some this spring but I am terrified about vaccinating. Can you tell me how this is done? I do not know how to do this and afraid of hurting the chicks. Thanks in advance..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by