baby chick very ill-help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by splady, Aug 9, 2011.

1. splady

splady Out Of The Brooder

Aug 3, 2011
    Our youngest chick was found this morning looking very sick. She's about 4 weeks old.
    She can't stand up on her own anymore and feels cold. I've put her under the brooder to get warm but i don't know what i can do. She's not opening her eyes much either and her legs seem wobbly. I've tried feeding her but she seems too weak to peck.
    She had splady legs when she was a baby but they got better with a splint.
    She's my favourite chick and i don't want to loose her.

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

I'm sorry your little chick is not feeling well [​IMG] have you tried giving her a little sugar water with a dropper? How is her weight ? can you feel her back bone better then the others? has she been eating? food in her crop? Chicks can go down hill real fast if they are not drinking enough water. I'm glad you are getting her warm, that should help some. I wish I could do more for you [​IMG]

3. splady

Aug 3, 2011
    I checked on her again and she doesn't feel as cold. When i pick her up she fluffs her feathers out and spreads her wings. She seems to be standing better too but she's definitely right.
    I just gave her some sugar water.
    I put some ground oats, nuts and fruit in her box i don't think she can peck yet. Her crop seems pretty empty.
    I can't see any change in her back bone or weight but it's difficult to tell.

4. Achickenwrangler#1

Achickenwrangler#1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    west virginia
    keep her warm and offer water frequently, give mash or chick starter food , keep in quiet area and don't handle often, she sounds like she's coming around, might take a day or 2

do you have predators that could have been harrassing her?

5. splady

Aug 3, 2011
    She sleeps in a big cage inside the chicken coop. There are 7 slightly older chicks in the cage and 6 adult chickens in the coop, but she's never had trouble with them before.
    We'll keep her inside for the next couple of days.

6. splady

Aug 3, 2011
    She's doing lots better, pecking her food, walking around and drinking water.
    Thanks for all your help!

7. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG] [​IMG]

8. splady

Aug 3, 2011
    She's now fine... except...

She is tiny compared to the other chicks - ie a third of the size of them, even though they are only two or three weeks older than her. Also, she's kind of bald - and some of the feathers on her wings stick out at odd angles.

Has anyone else had a baldy, wrong-feathered, verwork chick - and did it survive?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by