1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick w/ scab???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChixWstix, Apr 21, 2007.

1. ChixWstix

ChixWstix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I noticed a little dried poo on one of my 6 day old chicks. While cleaning it with my husband, he noticed a scab (a little more than 1/8inch in diameter), 1/4 inch away from the chicks vent on its belly side. At first i thought it was a tick. But upon further inspection my husband thought it was just a scab and pulled it off. It was a pus/blood looking scab.

Should I be concerned?
    After he pulled it off, it looks like a sore underneath it. I put some betadyne solution on.

Any ideas what it was? Anything else I should do?
    This is my first year raising chicks, please state the obvious if I am missing something! Thank you so much.

2. Emchick

Emchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2007
    Colorado
    that is where the yolk was attatched

Last edited: Apr 21, 2007
  3. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Yep, thats right. That's the chickens version of an umbilical cord. Yolk went in there and inner egg excrement went into a sack out of there. Next time don't pick it off though because it's there so the chick can heal.. If the bird is really young and pick it off, you can cause their insides to come out...

4. urbanhomesteader

urbanhomesteader Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2007
    Yorba Linda, CA
    Ow! you pulled off her bellybutton scab. Scabs are usually best left alone. They keep dirt off wounds during the healing process.

5. ChixWstix

ChixWstix Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Waaaaah!! Poor baby. I will be keeping an eye on it. Thanks everyone for you help!

6. PandoraChick

PandoraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2011
    The Dunes Indiana!
    Ok, I feel like an idiot. I just did something very similar to my 5 day old silkie chick. She had a little poop stuck to her behind, so I was using a warm cotton ball to clean that and noticed the "scab" which looked exactly like a piece of poop. I used the warm cotton ball and rubbed that off .
    Immediately after that, I knew I made a horrible mistake as a little bit of a hernia appeared. I gently pushed it back in the best I could and then cried like a baby.
    Here is the picture from last night:

[​IMG]

After I got done beating myself up, I put her back the in the brooder and observed her for an hour or so. She was just as active as the rest, eating and drinking/pooping.

I went back to check on her after a couple hours and I could barely make her out..Her belly looks much better, or the fur is doing a good job of covering the wound. I took a teeny dab of blue-kote and put a small dot on her head so I would be able to easily make her out from the rest. This morning she is still acting fine.

Is there anything I can do to help her heal? Like put something on the area?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by