Baby chick walking funny - With Video

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by carlinic, Mar 24, 2011.

1. carlinic

carlinic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    The Redlands, Florida

The link above is to a video of one of my baby chicks. She can walk fine when in small areas eating but when he mother goes acrossed the yard she can not keep up long distances. Her legs get really elongated and her feet starting going backwards the faster she walks so then she'll use her wings to try and keep balance but just ends up sitting down and resting a few seconds then she starts again. Has anyone have any idea what could cause this? The other 8 babies are fine.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I am sorry to see that, maybe she was born with this, have you looked at her legs checked them out at all? she could have gotten stepped on by the others too. I hope you can figure out what it is and help her. I know theres a place you can goole about chicken orthopedics that might give you some suggestions.

3. carlinic

carlinic Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2011
    The Redlands, Florida
    Thank you Miss Lydia for your kind words! Yes, I have checked her legs and she seems fine nothing is out of place and everything moves properly. It seems her brain doesn't tell her legs and feet to move right when she's trying to go fast. I will definitely keep looking for a answer. She's hanging in there though. Her mama and the others just go where they need too and then eventually she catches up. If I am around I'll pick her up and put her with the rest. Her mama only lets me around her babies without putting up a fight which is nice.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Well maybe she just needs a little extra support and sounds like she's getting it. Keep us updated on it's progress, I have 2 broodies that will have little ones soon. So I know how much we want them to do well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by