Baby chick walks funny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by henney penny, Apr 7, 2012.

1. henney penny

henney penny Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    I have two chicks that are 24 to 36 hours old and they don`t stand straight up when they walk.They can stand up for a short period of time,when they walk or run its like they are scootched down(only half way up)There legs and feet look ok to but then I don`t really know what to look for.Is there something heriditary that could be going on?The father of these chicks had on again off again problems with his legs.I thought it was because he had jumped off the roosts and hurt his legs.I did put poly-vi-sol vit without iron in the water a lttle while ago,thought maybe a boost of vit. might help.

2. spartacus_63

spartacus_63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Central Iowa
    Are they eating and drinking?

3. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    yes

4. California_chickie

California_chickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2012
    Napa valley, Ca
    Youre probably more of an expert than myself, but thought I'd chime in with some support! Hope this isn't a "well, duh..." type posting
    What about their grip on the floor of the brooder? Maybe they're just weaker than the others and slipping around? They are still pretty young so they will probably be fine!
    i have one little Silkie right now that had a little bit of a splayed leg, we braced him & he's fine now but the little guy just isn't as mobile as the others & needs to be on paper towels! He'll always be a bit special. If your rooster had some leg issues, then it would make sense that out of your entire hatch a couple have leg issues, no biggie.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

5. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    They seem to be doing better,maybe it was because they were so young and just needed to strengthen there legs.Will keep the vit. in the water for a couple days as I still have more hatching.They are on paper towels and will be for a few days then go to pine shavings.

6. SuperChickMama

SuperChickMama Out Of The Brooder

Apr 7, 2012
    Northwestern NC
    I have a Rhode Island Red chick that has a leg that sticks out at an odd angle. There is nothing wrong with her otherwise but she walks funny, How do you brace a chicken's leg?

7. comptonsgonecountry

comptonsgonecountry Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    I cut a bandaid in half length wise and braced my chicks legs for about a week. She still is gaining strength in her legs but can now run and walk without hobbling.

8. henney penny

Nov 21, 2009
    Northern Maine
    All are fine now,must have been beacuse they were still weak form hatching.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by