baby chick walks funny

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by urban chicks, Oct 4, 2012.

1. urban chicks

urban chicks Out Of The Brooder

Oct 2, 2012
    my baby chick is about 3/4 days old and he can't walk good? whats wrong with her? help

2. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    We need a little better description of walking funny. Don't put them on newspaper or anything slick, it can cause problems. If you are afraid of them eating pine shavings put paper towels on top of the shavings for a few days or place an old towel down for them. Does it's feet and legs look normal?

3. urban chicks

Oct 2, 2012
    well the other ones walk just fine ''slick'' and i didnt put newspaper. and the one foot is slightly swollen in one place i think that the other two might have pecked at it and i now i separated them with so me wire so they can still see each other but the other two can't peck at her feet

4. rikithemonk

rikithemonk Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    Mont Dora Florida
    So, what is the bedding your using? Pick her up and look closely at the feet and legs. Are there any signs of cuts or wounds? Was she like this since the hatching or did this start later? I know you said there was swelling, are you seeing any malformation? have you given her electrolytes?

Riki

5. urban chicks

Oct 2, 2012
    wood savings and she has like a little bit of skin that looks ripped but i don't think thats the problem and no the chick walked fine before and then it started limping and the swelling is very slightly its not very noticeable and no malformation and no id don't know what electrolytes are, can you tell me what it is? thanks so much for your help

6. RonC

RonC Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2012
    D/FW
    Seperating it from the others is a good idea since you believe it to be an injury caused by the other chicks. I was refering to the newspaper or other surface to being "slick" and that was not meant to be a comment towards you.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by