Baby chick who has just been abandoned by his mother

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenaddict, Nov 27, 2008.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    This morning i went to check on my babies in the office and i noticed my serama hen who hatched out one lone chick has turned on it and picked it bloody by the base of its tail. As soon as the baby saw me come into the room it flew up onto my shoulder and cowered under my hair. I tried to add it to the other flock of babies in a different brooder in the same room but this lil guy loves me sooo much he cries really loud when i leave the room. Some of the others pick on him a bit but nothing tooo serious. Considering he is wounded i am skeptical about leaving him in the brooder with the other chicks. There are a variety of ages in the brooder i am trying to add him to, some 6 week old seramas and some 5 week old bantams. This lil guy is about 4 weeks and tiny he has not completely feathered out and still has quite a bit of fuzz but has never had a heat lamp just mama. He has spent the morning on my shoulder or under my sweatshirt but i can't keep carrying him around like this. What should i do?

2. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    Oh no! I'm not sure... I'd separate him for sure. At least until his wounds heal.
    Poor little guy.

3. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Awww, poor lil' kid. Perhaps you could find it a buddy or two from the most gentle of your other chicks. It may take some trial & error to find the best match. You could put some Blu-Kote on its bloody pecked part, and/or put a red heat lamp over them to minimize temptation to peck it more. It may take this chick some time to adjust to boarding-school life but it will. Some folks hang a feather duster over the brooder so the feathers hang down to the bottom, some chicks like huddling under there.

Let us know what you decide & how it goes!

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Awww, poor baby! I would definatly not add him to a large group of chicks as they will pick at him and make the wound worse. I like the previous idea of choosing by trial and error a couple of buddies for him and then place them in a warm quiet area together after treating his wounds. Best of luck to you and the little fellow [​IMG]

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    There is a infared heat lamp in the brooder with the other chicks and its already pretty warm in the room so i think it will be fine without a heat lamp. I will take some chicks out of the brooder to put in with him since it is thanksgiving and i cant get him a feather duster at the moment. If it wasn't for such a major size difference between him and the ones a week older than him i would feel pretty good about keeping him in with the others. I washed off his wounds and put blue coat on him right away this morning. I guess i was really hoping to get another week or 2 with his mama but she has clearly made up her mind and threw in the towel

6. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Take him out and raise him alone. He sounds too sweet to risk! [​IMG]

7. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    I suggested the red light because it makes any bloody wound less noticeable, less tempting for others to peck. The Blu-Kote seems to help with that too. I've found my broodies to all have different ideas about how long to keep their chicks with them, some as early as 5-6 weeks, others 9-12 weeks, some hang together into adulthood, making up a new little flock.

I wish you quick success in finding the best mates for this chick.

8. chickorama

chickorama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I also say blu kote. Just today we put it on one of our hurt chickens, and nobody's bugging her. The best thing about it is that it tastes awful to the other chickens, so if they peck her once, they learn not to peck very quickly. You can put the hurt chicken in with others with blu kote, in pretty much all cases, but keep an eye on him if you combine them until he looks like he has been accepted.

9. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:Most hens ar finishd with hicks. Anywhere fom 4 - 6 weeks is normal. I late pring the chick would be fine. Heading into winter he will still need heat. Her pecking is sending him on his way. She has not turned on him. Her maternal instict has turned off. Chickens are not a maternal as we hmans are.

If he is bloody putting him in with the oher chicks will lead to more picking nd more serious injury. It is better for him tocry than be picked to death and cannablized by the others. Once he is healed you should be able to mix them without problems.

10. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Thanks miss prissy. Do you think i should put a light in his box to help keep him warm or do you think he will be ok without it? The temps stay between 77-80 degrees in that room. I will put him in his brooder alone for now until he gets a bit bigger. I have never raised chicks this time of year and in doing so knew i would have to provide heat for them, i just wanted to limit the numer of heat lamps i have going between the outdoor coop, the garage where other non winter hardy birds live for winter, and the basement.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by