Baby chick will not feather out????

Coopster217

Chirping
Sep 4, 2019
Hello, I just joined BYC so I can care for our birds better and this particular bird has me very concerned. We purchased some birds from Atwoods and all but 1 made it past the first week with no problems. The 1 that didnt make if was very small and very lethargic, we tried everything, feeding with a dropper, trying electrolytes, egg yoke. She seemed to be doing really good but one morning she just gave up we guess.
But the reason I'm posting this is not for the one that passed but for one I have that just wont grow her feathers, after her baby chick feathers came off, nothing came i . It's not like she lost the feathers, she just never had them all and the ones she did get are not healthy looking. She is active and eats great and drinks great, but she cant fly at all and will not make the winter if I cant figure out what's wrong.

Here are some pics, we call her "HeyHey"
20190903_190910.jpg
20190903_190910.jpg
20190903_190855.jpg

So what your saying is...1, its not a her but a him....and 2, no need for concern.
Yes it's a rooster, so is the Millie fleur d'uccle behind it. The only thing to be concerned with is if it's a frazzle, but generally hatcheries don't produce them, only private breeders that don't know not to breed frizzle to frizzle.

I would stop the cracked corn. It dilutes the amount of protein they are getting. They only need chick starter right now, and if you want to offer a treat, give them some chopped scrambled egg. If they are out eating grass and bugs, they should also have some chick grit available to digest things other than starter feed (especially if they have been getting pieces of corn.) I would really like to see a picture of this little guy once he grows. Hopefully, he will do well. Is the other chick in the first pic with him, also a little cockerel?

Cute chicks! This is Mercury,she/he took about 4 months to get all feathered in. both parents are half silkie. I feed her chick starter,eggs and brown beans plus free range. You chick looks a lot like she did.
DSC00644.JPG
Still no tail! But starting to get some.

Grit is tiny granite pieces to help the gizzard grind up and digest food other than chick starter. There is a chick size bag at most feed stores for chicks up to 10 weeks, and larger chickens need regular grit.

Attachments

• upload_2019-9-5_10-22-4.jpeg
    upload_2019-9-5_10-22-4.jpeg
    92.6 KB · Views: 2
Well...that's not really what I was hoping to hear. I always thought and I have heard you really dont want a large number of roosters. With the Millie being a rooster, I'm up to 3 now out of 13 birds.
Bantams can be different. I don't generally make those decisions until all birds are more mature. Once boys start being boys it becomes easier to decide what to do. I have kept roosters separately long term until I have a place for them.

I had a d’uccle rooster, and mine was submissive to the other 2 roosters in the flock. He had his little harem of bantam hens, and hung with them. It may depend on if they get along, or you have to separate one or two, though.

Back
Top Bottom