baby chick with a bad leg

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leeboyz337, Jun 26, 2011.

1. leeboyz337

leeboyz337 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 14, 2011
    i had a chick hatch out and it has a leg that doesnt work and i cant get around. i feel bad for the little thing. what should i do? can it maybe survive?

2. cupman

cupman Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Well depending on what happened to it's leg it could survive. If it's just broken or injured it's possible you could fix it. I've heard of people taking a straw, like a drinking straw, and slitting it up the side with a razor, and then placing it around the broken chicken leg to make some sort of a cast. Add a piece of tape or a band aid to keep it on the chicks leg and pray for the best.

3. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If one leg is pointing off to the side, you can straighten it then "hobble" it with something like a Bandaid. This is a pretty effective treatment if you catch it early, from what I've read here (I've never run into this myself.) Do a search here on "splayed leg" for lots of info.

4. cuntryuppiechick

cuntryuppiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    A good Google search term is also "chicken or poultry orthopedics". I personally like using removable medical tape. It seems to cause the little ones the least difficulty getting around.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by