Baby chick with a stiff knee and three toes on left leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sophiejane2000, Mar 2, 2017.

1. sophiejane2000

sophiejane2000 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Australia
    Hi everyone. I have a two day old ISA Brown chick, who has a stiff knee on her left leg. The leg also only has three toes. She can't bend her leg down and hobbles around on her right foot and her left knee, which has started to look a bit irritated from her dragging herself around everywhere on it. She was bought from a hatchery, all the other chicks that came along with her are normal. Other than her leg, she appears to be in really good health, she is active, alert, eating, drinking and is strong enough as she can move about pretty fast. She does not seem to be in any pain and shows no signs of discomfort when her leg is touched, although she seems frustrated with her leg getting in the way. It is not swollen or anything. She is always making happy little noises, except when she's feeling vulnerable (as all chicks do). She attempts to fly around with her tiny wings to compensate for her leg. It seems to be a genetic/developmental issue, but I'm not sure if she needs to be culled as she just seems to be living life like any other chick. She is really sweet and it would be terribly sad if we had to put her down. Would amputation be a better option? Should I wait for her to grow? Or would euthanasia be the kindest? If she was to live, I wouldn't breed from her.

P.S. If anyone doesn't know what an ISA Brown is, they are a type of hybrid commonly used for commercial purposes regarding eggs in factory farms here in Australia. They look similar to other types of hybrid layer chickens such as the Hy-Line Brown and Lohmann Brown. They are also very commonly found as backyard layers and pets here as well.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  2. sophiejane2000

sophiejane2000 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Australia
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here are some photos of her.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    It looks like a slipped tendon or leg bone deformity. It is a common problem in chicks, and it is usually not successfully treatable. The hock becomes swollen, and sometimes the skin cracks. The tendon can rupture when they grow. Some chicks can survive if they are in with another gentle chick who won't trample them, and if they are given special treatment. Google "slipped achilles tendon in chick" and you will find PoultryPediaPodiatry, and many other links to help with suggestions. I do recommend a poultry vitamin or BComplex added to food or water. There is a good thread called "slipped tendon, anyone try to fix this" here on BYC about a chicken that did survive. Every case is different though. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  4. sophiejane2000

sophiejane2000 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Australia
    Update: found out this morning she has two vents as well…
    Thanks Eggcessive! [​IMG]

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That is interesting. I think I remember someone else on BYC who had a chick with 2 vents in the past. I will look for that thread.
    Well, I ended up finding 6 or 7 chicks with 2 vents, and some said that both vents worked for droppings, and one was laying eggs. One had an extra leg coming from one of the vents. The pictures that were posted showed the vents side by side. If you can post a picture here it can help others. The foot with. 3 toes may be related to the vent deformity.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  6. sophiejane2000

sophiejane2000 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Australia
    [​IMG]

You can only clearly see one of her vents in this photo but you can definitely see that it's misplaced and where the other one is.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  7. sophiejane2000

sophiejane2000 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Australia
    Thank you, yes they're both working although she's been getting a little messy because of it.

8. sophiejane2000

sophiejane2000 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Australia
    Update: she's doing fine, has grown, and she's healthy otherwise. Her leg hasn't changed much except for the fact it points backwards more, and she has become much stronger and is hopping around on one leg. Her leg frustrates her and she always tries to put it down.

9. sophiejane2000

sophiejane2000 New Egg

Mar 1, 2017
    Australia
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by