Baby chick with a weak leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bostons barn, Dec 7, 2013.

1. bostons barn

bostons barn Out Of The Brooder

Nov 18, 2013
    I have a 1 day old baby chick with a weak leg what can i do to help the baby

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What do you mean by "weak leg"? Are its legs splayed out, or can it just not stand? Is a leg twisted off to the side or limp? A picture might help.

Splayed legs are relatively common in chicks. They cause the legs to splay out to the sides, making it difficult for the chick to stand. Here is a link to treating splayed leg: http://www.poultryhelp.com/spraddle.html

Sometimes, chicks will be weak after hatching and unable to stand. You can try to perk it up by offering some sugar water in an eyedropper(just drip a few drops on the beak, and it should swallow-- you can also try dipping its beak in the sugar water). Electrolytes can also help.

3. bostons barn

Nov 18, 2013
    It can not stand. It tries to push up with one leg and because the other leg stays folded up it ends up moving in a circle or rolling onto its back. Its been using its wings to crawl around to where it wants to go

4. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Could you try to post a picture? The leg may be deformed, in which case there's not much you can do.

I haven't had a lot of experience with chicks having leg problems (just two cases of splayed leg). Hopefully, somebody who has dealt with what you are experiencing will chime in and help more.

5. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Make sure that it is on something non-slip like pine shavings, paper towel, or rubber shelf liner so that it can get it's footing to learn to walk. Make sure it gets to food and water, and dip it's beak in the water. Try giving some poultry vitamins, Save-A-Chick in the water, or some straight PolyVisol no Iron baby vitamins, 2 drops daily by mouth.Here is another good site that help diagnose and treat leg and foot problems in chicks: https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

6. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Here is a little cup made by this BYCer for chicks having problems standing, to strengthen their legs:

• [​IMG]
    here is a suggestion on chick chairs i had saved
    [​IMG]

mabe something simila

7. bostons barn

Nov 18, 2013
    Got vits to add to water and found a hospital bucket. Put some pine horse bedding inside everyone cross your fingers and pray this works

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by