Baby chick with "backward" leg

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Hatcher, Jan 19, 2013.

1. Hatcher

Hatcher New Egg

Jan 19, 2013
    I need help!

I have a baby chick, approximately 6 weeks old, recovering from a leg injury. I know it hatched fine because I saw it getting around with no problem, so it wasn't born with a splay leg. It must have gotten injured. I noticed the mama hen pecking at it and running away from it. When I went to shoo her away and inspect, the poor little thing wasn't putting any weight on the leg, and was using it's wing as a crutch to try and keep up with it's mom. [​IMG] Rather than cull it, I rescued it. I brought it inside in my "infirmary" brooder first, and now into a bigger indoor pen. Here's my dilemma...

It didn't put any weight on the leg for a few days. Then it began to limp around on it. I assumed it just had a bit of a sprain. Looking at the leg, there was no visible break and all the toes moved.

The leg seems healed completely now, but it is BACKWARDS! [​IMG] It does not appear to be causing any pain. The little thing stretches it out behind him when stretching it's wing as chickens do. It appears to be in excellent health otherwise - appetite is very good. It is not backward all the time, it can put weight on it and the leg is off to the side a bit, but it's like it folds underneath him and goes backward. Maybe he can't put all his weight on it yet.

I'm hoping now that it is in a bigger pen, it will be able to walk around more and strengthen the leg and it will be normal. Or maybe not quite so abnormal.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Can I splint it or band the leg somehow to help it get strong? Or is it a "lost cause"?[​IMG]

I hope I've explained this well enough. Thank you in advance for any advice!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by