Baby chick with bent leg...anything to be done?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by silkiemum, Jan 13, 2011.

1. silkiemum

silkiemum Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2008
    Good Eveing,

I would be greatful for your advice.
    I have a hatched today chick with a bent left leg. I thought it may come good over the day and get moving but it hasn't.
    The leg wont straghten for the chick to stand. I can however straighten it as it does not seem restricted and stiff at this point.

I have taken photos but can't work out how to add them.

Would a small splint work to straighten the leg?

any advice would be greatly appricated.
    Cheers

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  2. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    u should bandig it for a week or two if nothink happens it may lern to walk after a month and if it does'nt walk it needs to be put [​IMG] down

3. magicpigeon

magicpigeon Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2010
    To add a photo you must upload it to a site such as Photobucket, and then enter the image URL in the following format:
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. BlacksheepCardigans

BlacksheepCardigans Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2010
    Southeast NH
    Sounds like a slipped tendon - it can be fixed if you get to it right away. http://www.guineafowlinternational.org/forum/index.php?mode=thread&id=8532 is the most useful instruction set I found. If the tendon will slip back into place and stay there with minimal intervention, you can fix it with tape. If there isn't enough of a groove to hold it in and it immediately slips out even with the tape, you may have to cull the chick.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    Without a photo- its hard to know exactly what it is..I had a duckling hatch today with a twisted leg so came to do a search on topics and found this one.

I put a sticky foam pad to hold the foot open and already after just a few hours the little duck can nearly walk properly. It was just dragging its leg behind it at first.

My duckling was in the wrong position in the egg. Its leg was backwards and over the top of its tail. The sticky foam pad is allowing it to hold its foot in a more normal position. It may be a bit harder the spread out a chickens toes as they dont have the webbing that ducks do- but I have found doing this helps haps when thy have minor leg problems after hatching.

If it is a slipped tendon though - what I did wont work. The tendon has to be put back into place like BlacksheepCardigans says.

6. candyshopper11

candyshopper11 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2013
    cut a pipe cleaner in half cut one of the halfs again fold

the pointy part out of the way straiten out the legs and
    wrap it around.

7. bantom

bantom New Egg

Apr 22, 2015
    i hatched out OEGB one of them had a bad leg and it caused the other leg to spread out ..I took some sewing thread and made a hobble between its legs. leave it lose and now its up and moving with its legs under its self just make sure not to tight on the legs and a 1inch between the legs. mine are about 2 weeks old as they get older it should grow out of it.

good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by