Baby chick with bluging eye

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by puffpet, May 17, 2009.

1. puffpet

puffpet New Egg

May 17, 2009
    Hello, my chick has a problem with its eye. Its eye is completely bulging out of its head and has fur covering it. It only walks in circles and scratches its eye with its foot often. What's wrong and how can I treat it?

2. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    I thought had a chick with an eye problem...and it had the pelleted bedding I use stuck inside its eyelid.

The problem did not correct itself, and the chicken, 2 weeks later, after having its eye flushed twice daily (with no more bedding in its eye) still walked in circles with its head tilted. I eventually had to cull.

Are there any other symptoms? Have you checked the eyelid to see ifg something is stuck inside of it? How is the poo? Does the chicken act otherwise normal? Is it eating?

3. puffpet

puffpet New Egg

May 17, 2009
    It will not eat or drink. It is half the size of the other chicks. It does not poop, but its butt is not pasty either. It cannot stand up straight and it walks in circles. Nothing is stuck in its eye. Warm compress allows me to open it, and the eye itself looks okay. However, its eye is still bulgy, but I cannot tell if it is on or around the eye that it is bulging.

4. barnwife

barnwife Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    central Texas
    Try to tempt it into eating with a mix of yogurt and chick starter. Put some apple cider vinegar into the water. These are cure-alls and fixer-uppers for most minor problems, and to generally help out the chicken's internal fixins.

I honestly do not know what else you could do. Mabe lookup glend heywood and p her on here..she is a chicken emergency genius!

5. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    I would hope it isn't a infectous disease

here is what I would do
    take some people eye wash and clean the eye several times a day
    to put in it you can buy terramycin salve
    but If you do not have that do this
    buy some VETRX
    put the vetrx on the birds head and under the wings and
    1/2 tsp down the throat
    if it has its own water put 1/2 tsp per qt of water
    you casn get both the

vetrx and terramycin salve from
    Smith's poultry supplies
    they can be faxed as then they will send it monday
    check it out

Smith's Poultry Supplies
    14000 W. 215th St., Bucyrus, KS 66013-9519

Ph. 913-879-2587 - 7:30 A. M. - 3 P. M CST Monday-Friday

24-hour Fax. 913-533-2497

Tell them you need it for a chick with eye disorder

this will heal the eye and cut the chances of it being a respiratory disease
    Also email me PM for more help PM me

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by