1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Baby chick with broken foot and missing toe

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Peeps15, Dec 31, 2016.

1. Peeps15

Peeps15 New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    CNY
    [​IMG]

This just over a week old chick has a part of it's toe missing and will not put weight on the foot. It seems to hop around ok, eat and drink ok too. Will this foot possible heal? It's day 2 now from the injury.
    This chick is one of three; I have a very broody hen I couldn't break so I ordered hatching eggs and it's December in Upstate NY. They are all doing wonderful, except this little one. They are with their new momma hen, a buff orpington in a separate box within the coop.
    Any help appreciated, poor little thing.

2. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yes, it will heal and not be an issue......I had a young Cockerel with missing toes and he could chase a Fox.....lol

It will be fine......Do not fuss over it and Chicks heal very fast....

Cheers!

3. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    I am not an expert, but I've read you can use a pipe cleaner and medical tape to put the foot and leg back where it should be (like a splint). I've never needed to do it, though. If you do try it, you should probably put the chick is a small section of the brooder where the others can see it but not pick at it. Good Luck!

4. Peeps15

Peeps15 New Egg

Jul 13, 2016
    CNY
    Whew! It looked better after a day I thought but never had this happen; I'm on my first round of chickens with the oldest about 8-9 months old. I'm not sure about the pipe cleaner, sounds like a good idea but it's leg is so tiny I'd be afraid of injuring more but I'll think on that one. Thank you both for the replies!!

5. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Happy New Year.....

Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by