1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

baby chick with crooked BOTTOM jaw.....

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ropergirl, May 13, 2011.

1. ropergirl

ropergirl Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    Avon Park, FL
    Very new to this...I have raised livestock all of my life, just not chickens!!!! We raise goats, cattle, horses and the occasional mule. So this is very new to me!!! I have 6 chicks about 8-10 weeks old and noticed one with a crooked lower jaw...I have looked this up and I haven't really seen anything about this, just malformed upper jaws...This chicks lower jaw is easily manipulated back and forth, but it points east and west instead of north and south!!! She seems to eat and drink well and is just as active as the others. I keep the food and water in a deep bowl so she can "scoop" her nutrition...(had a bull like that...that's another story) Just wondering if anyone had any advice...Thanks so much!!!!![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Advice would probably be the same as for birds with crooked upper beak: If you're fussy about the quality of your birds, cull it now. If you're not overly worried about looks, keep it and see how it gets on. Just make sure not to breed from it. I have an adult hen with a horrible crossbeak but like you say, deep bowls are all you need to make sure they can eat and drink okay. As long as it's able to get itself adequate nutrition it should be okay. Remember to keep an eye on the beak though as it may require trimming now and then...

3. Gypsy07

Gypsy07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2010
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Oh, excuse my manners. I forgot to say: a big welcome to BYC!!!

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

[​IMG]
    Welcome to the chicken addiction.

I don't have anything further to add to Gypsy07's advice. Good luck

[​IMG] Now sally forth and post! [​IMG]

Imp- Who is this Sally Forth? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. ropergirl

May 13, 2011
    Avon Park, FL
    Thanks a lot!!!! At least I know I am on the right track!!!![​IMG]

6. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have one that is about 3 months old and has an almost sideways top beak, she is a little smaller than they ones hatched at the same time but is in pretty good shape.

Unless your raising show birds I would keep her, mine has an AWESOME personality, maybe its because she gets extra attention or maybe she is just a sweetheart but she follows us around like a little kitten lol.

I will give you some advice, if you notice the chick not eating well just make sure there is some deeper food sections that she can eat, if you feed your other chicks on the ground put hers in a cup or feeder because if their beaks are crooked they are unable to grab things up like other chickens. My chicky can not even pick up a blade of grass or a worm because she can not grab up things straight but she will peck at food for hours to make sure she gets her share.

7. ropergirl

May 13, 2011
    Avon Park, FL
    Thanks so much!!!! You are so right!!! I put a big stainless dog bowl full of food for her and she spends most of her time in it eating...she is very active and appears bright eyed...she drinks well from a bowl also...she is just a s you say, a little more needy and she comes to the door as soon as I open it wanting attention!!!! She will probably be another pet...just what we need...[​IMG][​IMG]

8. laseterlass

laseterlass Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    We had the sweetest polish hen as a child with a crossed beak. Her big bad protector was the most handsome fella in the yard a shiny golden Polish rooster that would fight to the death for her. Thier names were Mr and Mrs Puff. She lived to be about 10. She raised some pretty little babies all just fine. We did have to keep a close eye on her weight, feed her wet food once a day and trim her beak. But she sure was a lover.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by