Baby Chick With Cross Beak

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Chickenlover328, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Chickenlover328

Chickenlover328 Hatching

Sep 23, 2018
    I have a 4 week old White Crested Black Polish with a cross beak. She is the sweetest little thing and will always come to my hand when I put it in the brooder. We give her wet food mixed with Gerber baby food and we give her water with a dropper a few times per day. She acts pretty normal and is always happy, but, she is about half the size of the other chicks who are just a week older than her. She already has her feathers but she doesn't seem to be growing as fast as the other chicks (A Lavender Orpington, a Calico Princess and an Ameraucana.) Do you think that she is just a slow grower or is it because she's not getting enough of something? Also, is there anything that might help with her cross beak?

2. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    Welcome to BYC! If you could post a picture of the little chickie then that could help. No, the crossbeak should not affect growth.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Crossing the Road

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would stop the baby food, and mix the chick feed in a deep bowl with water. You can add some egg, or bits of liver. Probiotics may help her to gain some weight, and I am a big fan of using 1/4 to a 1/2 of a crushed B complex tablet or some nutritional yeast on her food once a day. Here are some good articles about dealing with a cross beak chick:
    https://the-chicken-chick.com/scissor-beak-aka-crossed-beak-what-it/

https://www.fresheggsdaily.com/2016/05/causes-and-treatment-of-scissor-or.html

4. Chickenlover328

Chickenlover328 Hatching

Sep 23, 2018
    [​IMG]

5. FarmerGirl101

FarmerGirl101 Songster

Jun 20, 2016
    California
    Can you please repost the picture

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: