Baby chick with deformed feet? Update

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by JanieMarie, Sep 26, 2008.

1. JanieMarie

JanieMarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Baby #4 just hatched and he is having trouble getting around...after looking a bit closer, it seems that he only has two feet, and that his legs aren't extending. Has anyone experienced this, or have any advice to offer?

Last edited: Sep 28, 2008
  2. cjeanean

cjeanean Can't Decide

Mar 5, 2008
    Missouri
    I hope he only has two feet! LOL! Did you mean toes? If his legs are deformed I don't know how long he'll last....u should post pics of the problem. You may have to cull, I don't think a deformity is correctable. If it was just a missing toe(s) the chick might make it and just be a little special, but the fact that the legs aren't extending might pose a problem.

3. JanieMarie

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    could it be that his/her legs are spraddled? the wings are spread out, and now I do see all *toes there...The legs look like they are offset to the body...workin on gettin some pics up! Thanks!

4. CarlaRiggs

CarlaRiggs Chillin' With My Peeps

Janie Marie ~
    I understand what you mean by 'only feet'. [​IMG] Appears to have feet and no legs...
    If the chick has everything it needs to stand, you may have to help straighten the legs out. The sooner done the better. If the legs are splayed, then a tiny sling to help keep the legs together will help.

Carla

5. JanieMarie

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Sorry about another update...! The chick seems to be walking on his *knees rather than his feet... Also, we have one egg in the bator left to hatch, should we get the chick out now, or wait untill the final egg is hatched?

Last edited: Sep 26, 2008
  6. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    POST PICS!!! It's very hard to help you without seeing what the chick's legs look like. [​IMG]
    Good luck! [​IMG]

7. JanieMarie

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Having trouble getting pics. Haven't learned that yet but the poor thing can't stand up. It's like he walks on his knees and can't get his feet under him. He has legs and feet. I'll keep working on the pic. But gotta get ready to go to a wedding leavin at 4:30. Do I cull or wait. I don't have any starter fluid.

8. JanieMarie

Aug 26, 2008
    Georgetown, Minnesota
    Also was green goo in the shell when he hatched... poo?

9. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Dont cull now !!!!!! wait in till after your done what you gotta do, and after you post some pics so we can try to help you more, Not gonna make a huge difference if you wait a few hours !!!!! Keep us updated when u get back !!! You might get lucky and if its not meant to be he will pass before you get home, or he could be fine when you get home !!!

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    Don't cull-I had some chicks with very messed up legs, toes, and spines, and I got them all straightened out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by